Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC and English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
Deliver mission-critical technical projects that provide free learning experiences to millions around the globe. You’ll join Duolingo’s growing engineering organization to build and maintain Duolingo products and lead technical initiatives for the company overall.
- Lead the delivery of strategic, high-impact cross-functional initiatives from ideation to launch
- Partner with functions across the company—such as engineering, QA, product management, and executive leadership—to ensure communication and alignment across teams and to foster collaboration across partners
- Leverage deep technical expertise to develop thorough plans with key milestones and goals, identify and mitigate risks, solve for dependencies, remove impediments, and ensure timely and smooth project launches
- Identify issues impacting delivery efficiency company wide and quickly take action to resolve them, working collaboratively with leadership and other relevant partners
- Drive decisions when difficult tradeoffs must be made; serve as role model for navigating problems with analytical approach and calming demeanor
- Teach and train others on best practices so that all product and engineering teams run more smoothly thanks to you, even when you are not involved day to day.
- Experience leading commercial software projects in the context of large-scale, cloud-based infrastructures
- Proven ability to communicate technical issues effectively to technical and non-technical stakeholders at different levels of the organization
- Proven ability to create and execute detailed plans accounting for ambiguity, dependencies, and technical complexity in an agile environment
- Flexibility to adjust plans based on new information without losing a beat and while keeping morale high
- Outstanding leadership and negotiation skills in a matrix environment
- Ability to operate effectively even with only high-level direction
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, start-up environment
- Demonstrated self-direction, with a desire both to learn new techniques and teach others
- 5+ years of experience as TPM, Engineering Lead or Manager
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent degree or experience
- Ability to relocate to Pittsburgh, PA
Exceptional Candidates Will Have...
- 10+ years of software engineering, systems engineering or similar experience, in addition to project/program management experience
- Deep experience with AWS
- Experience working with teams and technical projects distributed across the globe, including China
- Experience running projects that include machine learning and large datasets
- Experience articulating business questions, and using available data to find answers that translate into business recommendations
We will do everything we can within reason to make sure that your interview takes place in an environment that fairly and accurately assesses your skills. If you need assistance or accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
We aim to return to office, and as such are requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and have received any booster doses as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Take a peek at how we care for our employees' holistic well-being with our benefits here.