Taxonomist, Project Catalog at Upwork
Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We help connect companies large and small with top independent talent from around the world. Simply put, our mission is to create economic opportunities so people have better lives.
Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled independent professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere.
Upwork is looking for a Product Manager who is passionate about enabling people across the globe to find each other and collaborate. You will be a part of the team responsible for Data Standardization, where talent and clients build relationships and do meaningful work together.
Upwork Project Catalog allows clients to browse & buy instantly from thousands of freelancer projects to complete their most pressing work. In partnership with a team of product managers, engineers, analysts, ontologists and designers, you will create a world-class taxonomy to help freelancers and clients describe themselves and find each other.Your Responsibilities:
- Deeply understand customer needs and what makes a two-sided eCommerce taxonomy successful
- Apply taxonomy best practices to create an intuitive, robust schema that represents high- and low-domain customer needs
- Classifies current supply while preparing for future demand
- Experience working as a marketplace taxonomist in a fast-paced environment, driving growth for the business as the owner of a vertical
- Ability to work independently while staying in sync with the overall direction of the Data Standardization team
- Deep empathy for customer needs, frustrations, and aspirations. Familiarity with crafting category and attribute schemas across multiple product types, and the impact of terminology and consistency on acquisition, conversion and retention
- Consistent track record of combining data and customer behavior with a controlled vocabulary to frame problems and develop solutions
- Demonstrated experience with setting and meeting deadlines, particularly with stakeholders dependent on a launch timetable.
- Compelling written and oral communication skills, with the ability to explain complex ideas in an approachable, engaging manner.
- Effective team player in a globally distributed environment
- You are supernaturally organized. You love creating elegant, simple-to-use experiences from messy, complex building blocks and understand the importance of building consistent site-wide experiences
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also support hiring of corporate full-time employees in 15 states in the United States. Please speak with a member of our recruitment team to determine whether you are located in a state in which we are hiring corporate full-time employees.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.