Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Operations Strategic Support Unit plays a fundamental role in enabling efficient business and program execution – from technologies and investments to supply chain, manufacturing and test operations, facilities management, and information technology services.
Subcontract Program Manager I
The Subcontract Program Manager I (SPM I) position represents an exciting opportunity that will help enable Ball Aerospace to GO BEYOND by developing technology to help you see farther, stay safer, and preserve our planet and meet some of the nation’s most critical missions, at home and on the outskirts of our solar system. The SPM I will be responsible for leading a Subcontract Management Team (SMT) and meeting all subcontractor cost, schedule, technical, and quality requirements while enhancing the Subcontract Management process and performance at Ball Aerospace. The SPM I will plan, organize, direct, and control subcontract activities on proposals and or programs to satisfy all Supply Chain and program requirements while enabling consistent, improved subcontractor relationship / performance management.
What You’ll Do:
- SPM I will have responsibility for a single, relatively large, moderately-complex Subcontract or a portfolio of smaller, less complex, subcontracts.
- The SPM will be responsible for leading the Subcontract Management Team (SMT) during proposals including development and execution of the Program Subcontract Management Plan. The SPM leads subcontractor RFP generation. The SPM leads subcontractor proposal review and evaluation to assess proposal realism, reasonableness, risks, capability, capacity, and compliance. The SPM is responsible for providing all the necessary subcontractor cost, technical, schedule, risk and risk mitigation inputs as required by the Ball proposal manager.
- Responsible for leading SMT in subcontractor negotiations and subsequent PO placement. Ensure that all program requirements, SDRL’s, Mission Assurance Plan, engineering related documents, CFE, purposes, objectives, payment plan or milestone payment plan, and expectations are communicated, understood, and flowed down to the subcontractor. Define subcontract scope and requirements, manage, control and monitor subcontractor baseline to provide timely, in-depth, and accurate visibility into subcontractor technical, quality assurance, financial, and schedule performance, risks, and compliance with all related Program and contractual requirements.
- Responsible for overall relationship ownership, direction and guidance of subcontractor and to establish and execute subcontract in accordance with the budget, schedule, contractual requirements, Statement of Work (SOW), technical specifications, and compliance to all other related requirements associated with the subcontract.
- Act as the principle interface/liaison between the subcontractor and Ball Program Manager on all subcontract related work.
- Learn, use, and maintain Ball’s Supply Chain Subcontract Management tools to plan, track, and status subcontractor performance as it pertains to subcontractor milestone completion, funding plan, amount funded, paid and unpaid invoices, ECP’s, CFE, and SDRL’s.
- Work closely with and assist Supply Chain Subcontract Manager to ensure Subcontract is maintained in full compliance and meets all current Program requirements. Establish Ball programmatic negotiation position and support subcontract negotiations with Supply Chain Subcontract Manager.
- Work with Subcontracts Manager and other program technical and business personnel to review, approve, and process all subcontractor invoices in a timely fashion.
- Work closely with Ball Program Management and customer to communicate subcontractor progress, resolve issues and concerns, and identify and manage subcontractor risk.
- Responsible for the coordination, logistics, and chairing of all subcontractor reviews including program status, business, design, manufacturing, test, pre-ship, and all other required meetings/reviews.
- Review, monitor, and manage the subcontractor baseline including their definition of tasks, budgets and schedules.
- Review and monitor subcontractor Earned Value (EV) and Earned Value Management (EVM) processes and performance including variance reporting. Support Ball program business team to integrate the subcontract cost, funding plan, spend plan, and schedule performance into program business tools and EVMS.
- Employ proactive risk and opportunity management processes and practices to mitigate or capture potential program issues and improvements.
- Support change proposal efforts for subcontract including pre-coordination with subcontractor to establish expectations and lead internal evaluation of subcontractor proposals and development of negotiation plans.
- Interact with internal and external customers to ensure understanding of Ball’s Supply Chain Subcontract Management methods, processes, personnel, status, and benefit to positively impact program performance.
- Ensure that all business is conducted using the highest ethical standards and follows all applicable laws, statutes, and regulations.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS/BA in related field plus 10 years or more related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Program Management and Subcontract Management experience, including execution and oversight of cost type and firm fixed price subcontracts in support of DoD and/or NASA customers.
- Ability to effectively relate with others and cooperate as a team member.
- Demonstrated ability to build effective relationships at all levels of the organization
- FAR/DFAR knowledge.
- Strong interpersonal and organization skills.
- Strong communication skills (both oral and written).
- Ability to obtain a US Top Secret / SCI Clearance.
- Demonstrated track record of success Managing Subcontractors preferred.
- Prior experience in same or similar role at an Aerospace & Defense Prime Contractor
- Active DoD Top Secret and/or SCI Clearance preferred.
- Recognized, formal industry certification in one or more of the following: Program Management, Contract Management and/or Supply Chain Management preferred.
- Demonstrated track record of success driving win-win supplier negotiations preferred/
- Working knowledge of NASA and/or Intelligence Community contracting rules & regulations preferred.
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, cleanroom, or production floor.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $132,500 - $183,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.