PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Sr. Technical Project Manager
San Mateo, CA
The Peripherals Product Development team is dedicated to developing new products to improve the consumer’s gaming and entertainment experience. This Senior Technical Project Manager will lead hardware and software development projects from conceptualization and planning through to development, execution and operational phases. These projects will vary in scope and subject matter, ranging from small software applications through to large-scale consumer electronics products and services.
The ideal candidate has experience in a variety of business markets, including consumer electronic products (hardware), software applications, online/internet, and/or digital media entertainment. Candidate must be detail oriented with excellent project management skills to deliver high-quality products. Excellent verbal and written communication skills and understanding of different working environments are also required. Most of all, the candidate is passionate about delivering world class products that will improve our users’ PlayStation experience!Responsibilities:
In this role, you will lead several high-profile product development efforts. As a leader within our development team, you will build and maintain positive collaborations between technical teams and business/product owners to deliver on strategic organizational initiatives.
- Apply Project Management expertise to align cross-functional teams to meet schedule and cost expectations for multiple projects running in parallel
- Develop project proposals, recommendations and budgets
- Work with cross-functional and cross-company teams to define, launch, and drive strategic business initiatives
- Create, lead, and drive project schedules, including tracking dependencies, results, and other information to positively impact delivery and/or quality expectations
- Organize workflows and assign duties, activities and tasks as required by the project schedule.
- Communicate project objectives, status and expectations to project team and management
- Minimize, lead, and avoid risks to results, schedules and objectives of the project
- Lead outside vendors to develop and deliver products on time and within budget
- Prepare project related presentations, documentation and reports
- Contribute to development and detailing product roadmaps
- Identify areas for improvement in internal processes along with possible solutions
- Self-motivated with phenomenal interest in crafting new products and solutions
- Knowledge of the PlayStation ecosystem and a genuine love for the brand a strong plus.
- Deep understanding of consumer product development principles
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Connect with a wide variety of audiences ranging in skill set (highly technical to non-technical) and experience (individual contributors to executive management), cross-organizationally and with external partners
- Build and deliver informative, well-organized and engaging presentations as well as project plans, reports, and project documents
- Must be comfortable with mitigating team disagreements and resolving communication or other problems within the team
- Excellent problem solving and analysis skills combined with outstanding business judgment
- Must be inventive and seek solutions through information gathering, partner discussions, and/or judgment calls
- Experience in the video game industry is not required, but interest and passion for gaming, digital entertainment, consumer electronics, and technology is vital
- Degree from a four-year college (i.e. BA, BS) in fields relating to business management, product development, engineering, communication, product design, or production
- At least 6-8 years of proven experience in project management, product management, user or design research, game production, new product development or operations management in consumer electronics, digital entertainment or video game and accessory industry
- Project Management credential(s) helpful (PMP, APMG or PMI-ACP)
- Proficiency with Project Management tools such as MS Project, Confluence, JIRA etc.
- Team environment; feels like a start-up within a large organization
- Travel (domestic and international) required. Estimated 15%
- Individual Contributor: Does not have direct supervisory responsibilities nor budgetary or hiring accountabilities
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.