Scrum Master/Agile Lead
This is a long-term temporary position with the possibility of permanent employment based on the candidate's performance and the company's needs.
At Curriculum Associates, we believe a diverse team leads to diversity in thinking, making our products better for teachers and students. We're posting this role externally as Scrum Master, but internally we do not use the term "master." The person hired for this role will hold the title of Agile Lead. We want to be continually aware and mindful towards our stance as an anti-racist company and making sure our language and practices are aligned.
We are seeking an experienced Scrum Master to lead 2+ scrum teams. Both teams have had the benefit of an Agile Lead. They are building large-scale java platforms to support multi-tenant web applications. The role requires a proven track record of professional excellence and a passion to be the driver behind developing great software with a laudable purpose.
Why join this team:
Our PMO is a passionate group of servant leaders supporting high-performing teams. We are committed to quality, continuously learning and relentlessly improving. Our work directly impacts the company's goals and mission. Want to make a difference? Join us!
The impact you'll have:
- Facilitate and moderate sprint planning, daily scrum, sprint demo and sprint retrospective and backlog refinement meetings
- Remove obstacles to team and sprint success
- Encourage self-organization by facilitating the appropriate delegation of tasks and responsibilities to appropriate team members
- Coordinate across co-dependent scrum teams in multi-scrum team environment
- Utilize and improve usage of JIRA and Confluence, as a tool to monitor and manage sprint success
Who we're looking for:
- You are a Certified Scrum Master (CSM) or similar certification with a minimum of 2 years of experience as a Scrum Master/Agile Lead for multiple teams simultaneously
- You possess a deep understanding of agile development, with the ability to apply both theoretical and practical aspects
- You have direct experience with Agile software development methodologies
- You've worked closely with stakeholders to improve project predictably and delivery success
- You have the ability to help product teams generate product backlog and make them ready for the next sprint
- You can effectively identify and drive resolution on deliverable dependencies with other teams
- You have at least 1 year of experience using JIRA to track and manage Agile development, or experience using tools like the Atlassian suite of products
- You have experience with a variety of Agile methodologies (Scrum, Kanban, Scrumban, etc.)
- You are someone who can:
- Assess the Agile maturity of the team and organization and coach the team to higher levels of maturity, at a pace that is sustainable and comfortable for the team and organization
- Influence and guide development, quality, and product professionals
- Partner closely with product to set the vision and execute the sprint plan
- Foster and maintain a collaborative team dynamic
- Solve problems and think critically
- Plan and organize (and re-organize) in an environment of shifting priorities
- Communicate clearly, both by speaking directly and writing concisely
- Negotiate and manage conflict
- Proactively identify blockers and help the team look ahead for potential risks and recommend mitigations
- Provide all support to the team using a servant leadership style whenever possible, steer by example
- A Bachelor's Degree, preferably in a computer science, information technology, or an equally technical discipline; or equivalent work experience
We'd also like to see:
- Experience with Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)
- Knowledge and/or experience with widely successful Agile techniques: User Stories, ATDD, TDD, Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing, Agile Games
- Experience in education technology and/or game development
Location: This position is remote with East Coast business hours (9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Eastern Time). Currently, Curriculum Associates employees are working remotely due to Covid-19. Once it is safe to go back into the office, this role will have the option of remaining remote or being based in one of our offices (North Billerica, MA; Brooklyn, NY; Greenboro, NC).
Salary and Benefits: This role is full-time, paid hourly for 12 months with the possibility of salaried permanent employment. This role is eligible for medical coverage after a 3-month period.