Program Manager, Mortgage Expansion at Upstart (Remote)
Upstart is a leading AI lending platform partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. As we transitioned to being a public company, we’re now poised to leverage our domain expertise and revolutionize every aspect of lending and credit risk evaluation. We’ve recently expanded our offerings to include automobile refinancing and we plan to take on more verticals as the business grows.
By leveraging Upstart's AI platform, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. Upstart's patent-pending platform is the first to receive a no-action letter from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau related to fair lending. Upstart not only supports a large remote workforce, but also has offices in San Mateo, CA; Columbus, OH; and Austin, TX.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
About the Mortgage Team
Mortgage is the largest category of consumer credit in the US, representing over $4 trillion in originations last year and over 70% of consumer debt. But the market has left behind millions Americans with imperfect credit or difficult to document income. Our mission is to enable every American to live where they want using effortless, affordable, responsible credit. Come help us expand access to homeownership!
About the role
As the Program Manager - Mortgage Expansion, you will own our geographic expansion efforts. You’ll partner with a cross-functional team to define requirements, set strategy, and execute on it. We’re looking for someone who can work across a diverse team of experts in legal, compliance, engineering, product, and operations to deliver impact.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates on the East/West Coast time zones.
Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur 2-3 days per month, rotating between our offices in San Mateo, Columbus, Austin, and other cities. Upstart covers all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Oversee state-by-state expansion in mortgage, prioritizing our roadmap and coordinating across functions to set timelines and execute on it
- Define state-specific requirements in partnership with legal, compliance, operations, and product
- Work across functions to ensure we have all the right processes, software, and licenses need to offer mortgages in new states
- Manage launches in each new state
- Set high standards for rigor and speed, finding opportunities to improve the process with each expansion
- Analyze quantitative and qualitative data to identify opportunities to improve post-launch
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum requirements:
- Gets results. You’ve owned business critical outcomes and driven meaningful impact.
- Structured problem solving. You focus on the most important problems. You solve gnarly challenges with clear, logical, structured approaches.
- Cross-functional collaboration. You’ve worked with diverse, cross-functional teams to get results, winning their trust by being an effective and collaborative partner.
- Project management. You hit deadlines - and know when to adjust them. You know how to make tradeoffs, flag risks, and adapt plans in the face of new information
- Clear communication. You write and speak clearly, and can drive to consensus across a large team of stakeholders.
- Analytical: You leverage data to make decisions and guide planning. You welcome diving into data and analysis yourself.
- Preferred qualifications:
- Mortgage or real estate experience
What you’ll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Personal Development and Technology & Ergonomic Budgets
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Clubs and Activities (Game Nights, Fitstarters, Superwomen, Book Club, Investing Club, Money Discussions, Photography Club and Basketball teams)
- Generous vacation policy
- 401(k) and Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks
The minimum base pay for this position in Colorado is $108,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Base pay may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. This information is provided in accordance with the Colorado Equal Pay Act. It is specific to Colorado and may not be applicable to other locations.
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.