Principal Program Manager at Atlassian
Atlassian's Enterprise customers are prolific in our everyday life and our tools contribute to the things we use and see every single day!
Atlassian is seeking a Principal Program Manager to lead and deliver highly complex, cross-functional R&D programs that serve the needs of our Enterprise customers. We recognize these customers' unique needs, driven by characteristics such as size, compliance requirements, organizational structure or risk appetite, across Cloud and Data Center deployments.
As a key member of 'Team Enterprise', our Principal Program Manager will be setting up multi-org and multi-faceted programs, working through highly ambiguous early phases to bring the strategy to life, flush out important company-level decisions, and influencing executive stakeholders. Well versed in agile program management, they must establish a shared understanding, and program roles and accountabilities. They will then go about establishing appropriate framework involving multiple work streams, and operating rhythms - including program roadmaps, collaboration mechanisms, and risk management.
Does this sound exciting to you? Then you might be the person we're looking for.
More about the role:
Teams building Atlassian's major cloud products and platforms all rely on a robust, reliable platform to shepherd their code from development to production, while maintaining the high standards for our code quality and deployment practices.
You will understand the 'why' behind strategic plans and drive teams to execute on them. You will guide reporting mechanisms, craft communications for various audiences (including executives), set processes for cross team projects, and/or jump into a team to help connect and unblock teams.
To be successful in this role, you will build strong partnerships with the Engineering, Product, and Design leaders. You will engage with many cross-functional teams (with many varying perspectives!) and keep them aligned to satisfy the strategic plan. You will need to deeply understand Atlassian's priorities, and relate them to company level business goals. You're the center of team spirit, and you craft and implement pathways to up-level the teams working toward a common strategy.
We are looking for a dynamic individual who thrives in making order out of ambiguity. Alongside leaders and colleagues, you will develop and apply practices, plays, agile frameworks, enabling autonomous, empowered, and motivated teams.
More about you:
- A passion for running complex cross-functional programs in a fast paced environment with many moving parts
- Demonstrated excellence in working with leadership teams, and have the ability to influence and challenge leadership peers in working through complex organisational problems and priorities
- Expert and teacher in agile program management craft in industry. You are a progressive problem solver when it comes to Program Management and program effectiveness.
- You can think creatively and present strategic vision for operating excellence.
- You're a coach, a facilitator and a multiplier, passionate about software product teams, with a focus on teamwork and how we can work better together.
- Experience with highly technical teams and skilled in anticipating risks and dependencies on technical programs.
- A track record of translating technical requirements with engineers to break down, scope out, and prioritise tasks.
On your first day, we'll expect you to have:
- Relevant professional experience and demonstrated success as a Principal Program Manager, running large scale initiatives within globally distributed teams.
- An ability to mediate and make pragmatic compromises, and help set priorities appropriately across the business
- A track record of setting appropriate expectations, crisp execution, and on-time delivery
- An ability to balance priorities among the long-term vision and short-term execution strategy
- Experience in diagnosing problems for teams, moving them to good and going above and beyond to ensure they are great
- Strong understanding of the software development lifecycle and ensure teams are driving toward delivery of high quality, operationally sound products and services
- Comfort with change and ambiguity, and creative thinking to adapt
- Attention to detail: successful history of closing loops and delighting customers
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills adjusted for different audiences
It's great, but not required if you have:
- Experience driving change management across a large, globally distributed, organization
- Understanding the complexities of SaaS administration within large Enterprises
- Understanding of Enterprise compliance regimes, cloud security and data management requirements
- Knowledge and experience in implementing the Atlassian scaled agile toolset
More about our team
We are a team on a mission to ensure that R&D can successfully scale. Specifically, R&D Program Managers at Atlassian build trusted networks, seek clarity, and serve as the grease and the glue to ensure teams deliver complex cross-functional programs as seamlessly as single team projects. Our impact is amplified beyond delivery through our work to advance the program management craft. We band together to develop and apply practices, patterns (plays), and agile frameworks to build pathways for autonomous, empowered, and lasting teams for a Future Atlassian.
More about our benefits
Whether you work in an office or a distributed team, Atlassian is highly collaborative and yes, fun! To support you at work (and play) we offer some fantastic perks: ample time off to relax and recharge, flexible working options, five paid volunteer days a year for your favourite cause, an annual allowance to support your learning & growth, unique ShipIt days, a company paid trip after five years and lots more.
More about Atlassian
Creating software that empowers everyone from small startups to the who's who of tech is why we're here. We build tools like Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, and Trello to help teams across the world become more nimble, creative, and aligned-collaboration is the heart of every product we dream of at Atlassian. From Amsterdam and Austin, to Sydney and San Francisco, we're looking for people who want to write the future and who believe that we can accomplish so much more together than apart. At Atlassian, we're committed to an environment where everyone has the autonomy and freedom to thrive, as well as the support of like-minded colleagues who are motivated by a common goal to: Unleash the potential of every team .
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
If your experience looks a little different from what we've identified and you think you can rock the role, we'd love to learn more about you.
Learn more about Atlassian's culture, interviewing flow, and hiring process by checking out our Candidate Resource Hub .