The Director of Enterprise Architecture will join CNA as an individual contributor owning the overall architecture for a business portfolio(s). They will be instrumental in aligning the business strategy with our technology vision and driving innovative and effective solutions for a diverse and complex set of business problems. The Director of Enterprise Architecture will be responsible for decomposing a business problem into the required components and processes, the decisions that need to be made, defining the architectural solution direction that ultimately solve the problem and bring clarity to the ambiguous. The individual will serve as the primary architectural leader in that portfolio, providing leadership to both the business and technology teams to drive solution directions and recommendations that advance the strategic goals and vision of both business and technology.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Accountable for the overall end to end architecture for solutions associated to a business domain(s), serving as the principal designer for the portfolio.
- Responsible for establishing a technology strategy and roadmap in conjunction with business leadership to enable strategic business and technology capabilities, describing the evolution of enterprise portfolios from current state to future state.
- Partner with business leadership to consult on technology solutions, provide governance, oversight and strategic insight to all work in the domain and identify cross domain/ enterprise synergies and impacts across business areas
- Evaluates overall risk scores for all technology assets supporting the domain and develops the strategic disposition for all applications
- Recommends initiatives to advance business capabilities and mature/simplify technology capabilities as part of the domain roadmap and identify synergies across the enterprise portfolios
- Develop architectural strategies for cross domain/ enterprise capabilities that serve as foundational components for the business
- Research industry and emerging trends in technology as it relates to the business domains and recommend appropriate use cases and considerations for advancement
- Serve as primary leader driving initial phases for large initiatives to identify and solve for critical business decisions, solution assessments, and recommended architecture
- Owns conceptual solution overview including contextual, component, integration/data flow designs and systems impacted systems in order to solve business problem
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Typically AVP or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Strategic and innovative leader within a technology organization, passionate about advancing an overall architectural strategy and vision.
- Understanding of agile methodologies and application of enterprise architecture principles to the development lifecycle.
- Ability to design target state solution architectures leveraging modern decoupled, event based, API enabled architecture frameworks.
- Strong knowledge of contemporary technology and business trends that allows architecture to solve problems in a creative and cost effective manner.
- Deep understanding of business area's functions and processes, both within the organization and across the industry
- Excellent communication and interpersonal and consultative skills to work effectively and build partnerships and relationships across the organization.
- Complex problem solving skills with the ability to effectively and succinctly articulate an approach and solution for solving to both business and technology partners.
- Understanding of end to end architecture processes and procedures, with familiarities with EA frameworks (e.g. TOGAF) preferred
Education & Experience
- Degree in Business Information Systems, Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- Typically a minimum of nine years of solid, diverse work experience in technology including experience with business analysis and solution implementation.
- Experience leading complex project teams and engaging with senior level business partners
- Experience in commercial insurance industry and applicable certifications preferred