Construction Project Manager at UL Solutions (Raleigh, NC)
Thousands of us around the world wake up every day with a common purpose: to make the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place. Science is in our DNA; we are endlessly curious and passionate about seeking and speaking the truth. We take delight in knowing that our work makes a meaningful contribution to society, and we are proud that our culture is centered on integrity, collaboration, inclusion and excellence. UL stands at the forefront of technological advancement, and we are continually challenged to find new ways to foster innovation and positive change. Satisfying? Yes. Exciting? Absolutely!
What you'll learn & achieve:
This role is hybrid and can be based out of Northbrook, IL, Raleigh, NC, Dallas, TX or Atlanta, GA
Reporting directly to the Construction Program Manager, Real Estate & Facilities, the Construction Project Manager contributes to the coordination of the dynamic evolving global footprint. Oversee globally each project from conception to the completion, interfacing with real estate and construction professionals and UL's businesses and functions. Manage multiple global projects including assisting in the coordination and completion of projects on time, within budget and scope, setting deadlines, and monitoring and summarizing progress of projects. Collaborate directly with internal stakeholders and other departments to ensure all aspects of project are coordinated and recommend the engagement of outside resources, including architectural firms, general contractors, real estate developers, and consultants as needed to fulfill project needs.
- Lead Enterprise projects related to Renovations, Relocations, Dispositions, Closures & New Builds. Drive the project start-up process for construction-related activities including project plans, budgets, work breakdown structure, resource planning, risk management, RACI, etc. Develop a project plan to monitor and track progress and ensure resource availability and allocation. Manage approval process.
- Assist in coordinating creation of approved space plans, architectural plans and scopes of work for construction.
- Responsible to prepare initial construction estimates, bidding out project and selection of contractors, as well as tracking budgets and change orders.
- Facilitate handover of the project, once launched, to the assigned Project Manager from the sponsoring organization and/or third-party project/construction manager. Will ensure proper project close out procedures are accomplished.
- Work with real estate transaction managers and internal business unit clients from concept phase of each project to ensure clear understanding of project scope, requirements and vision. Developing the definition of project scope and objectives, involving all relevant stakeholders and ensuring technical feasibility.
- Manage the design process to ensure that UL standards are met and that accurate and detailed budgets are created.
- Lead vetting and selection of development team and assist in the negotiation of contracts with vendors, suppliers and subcontractors.
- Supervise and manage local job superintendents or owner's representative as applicable to track day-to-day progress on the site.
- Coordinate internal resources (EHS, IT, Risk Mgmt., Sourcing, etc.) and third parties/vendors for the successful execution of projects.
- Manage changes to the project scope, project schedule and project costs using appropriate verification techniques and ensuring UL policies and approval authorizations are followed.
- Report and escalate to management as needed, particularly for the approval of scope and cost increases.
- Conduct Due Diligence for M&A targets, perform or coordinate site inspections/condition assessments. Lead site consolidation, renovation, and disposition projects. Report out on conclusions to leadership and deal team.
- Performs other duties as directed.
What makes you a great fit:
- Bachelor's degree in construction management, construction science, engineering, architecture or a related disciplines. Equivalent experience may be considered.
- 5+ years of experience in designing and building industrial, manufacturing or laboratory space. In-depth understanding of construction procedures and material and project management principles.
- Advanced understanding of risk management policies and procedures.
- Working knowledge of project safety best practices and implementation.
- Extensive experiencing managing budgets for large high cost, high complexity construction projects.
- Ability to travel 60-75%
- Strong knowledge of construction materials, processes and equipment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and multitasking skills.
- Familiarity with construction/ project management software, MS Office Suite.
What you'll experience working at UL:
- Mission: For UL Solutions, corporate and social responsibility isn't new. Making the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place has been our business model for the last 125 years and is deeply engrained in everything we do.
- People: Ask any UL Solutions employee what they love most about working here, and you'll almost always hear, "the people." Going beyond what is possible is the standard at UL. We're able to deliver the best because we employ the best.
- Interesting work: Every day is different for us here as we eagerly anticipate the next innovation that our customers' create. We're inspired to take on the challenge that will transform how people live, work and play. And as a global company, in many roles, you will get international experience working with colleagues around the world.
- Grow & achieve: We learn, work and grow together with targeted development, reward and recognition programs as well as our very own UL University that offers extensive training programs for employees at all stages, including a technical training track for applicable roles.
- Total Rewards: All employees at UL Solutions are eligible for bonus compensation. UL Solutions offers a generous 401k matching structure of up to 5% of eligible pay. Additionally, we invest an additional 4% into your retirement saving fund after your first year of continuous employment. We provide Healthcare Reimbursement Accounts and Health Savings Accounts that UL contributes to twice per year! Depending on your role, you can work with your manager on flexible working arrangements. We also provide employees with paid time off including vacation, holiday, sick and volunteer time off.
Working at UL is an exciting journey that twists and turns daily. We thrive in the twists and revel in the turns. This is our every day. This is our normal.
Curious? To learn more about us and the work we do, visit UL.com