Formic Technologies is creating a world of abundance by unlocking robotic automation for small to mid-sized American manufacturers. Our mission is to continue the American legacy of innovation by increasing productivity and production capacity 10X. We combine proprietary software tooling and intelligent control with advance fleet management and financial innovation with a mastery of robotics. We enable manufacturers to deploy and scale automation quickly and with minimal risk, and believe that technology doesn’t change the world until you make it accessible to those who need it most.
We make building things easy and believe every factory should have access to unlimited labor through automation. As the world moves toward inflation and shortages, Formic is doing everything it can to reverse that trend. In the 18 months we've been in existence we've grown faster than any robotics company in history, and we're only just getting started.
Supporting us in this vision, with investments thus far totaling over $30 million, are backers including Lux Capital, Initialized Capital, Balaji Srinivasan and CEOs of multiple fortune 50 companies.
Join us to build the world's largest robot workforce, and fundamentally change the way that everything gets made - from aircraft parts to shredded lettuce, lattes to sheet metal, lawnmowers to candy corn, and everything in between.
As VP, Product Engineering you will be responsible for a series of software tools Formic is building to manage our robotics fleet & deployments - our Ant, Colony, Portal, and Swarm. This will include managing multiple engineering teams focusing on various projects, consulting the CEO on technology strategy & architecture, becoming the architect for Formic’s next generation software products, helping to set strategy and direction, and further building teams for execution.
Our Ant provides an ecosystem of on-device (i.e. embedded) apps responsible for relaying OEM-specific data from our robots to the Colony server. The Ant uses AWS IoT as the network, and AWS Greengrass to manage the IoT devices, certifications, registrations, over-the-air updates, etc. The Ant's software, with codebase largely in Python/Twisted, will be further built to include modules for predictive maintenance, camera control, killswitch capability and improved self-diagnostics.
The Colony is Formic’s fleet management software platform, a web-based service built with Python/Django, PostgreSQL database with S3 file storage. Running atop AWS Elastic Beanstalk behind a load-balancer for redundancy, the Colony provides the infrastructure to set up customers, ASAs, billing and payment schedules, automates to summarize data, and provides authentication, authorization and data API endpoints for machine, fleet and billing data that are consumed by Portal.
The Portal is Formic’s customer-facing dashboard platform, a serverless website which consumes the Colony's API and enables account access for Formic's customers. It's been built with React and is hosted serverless using AWS Amplify.
The Swarm is a series of tools that use computer vision to scan & understand a factory environment, and uses machine learning to iterate on various hardware designs & configurations to develop the optimal design package device programming, reducing the time & cost to build a robot workcell by as much as 5X.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Above all, build Formic’s suite of auto robot-provisioning tools (automated workcell design) and oversee integration with our fleet management software and our automated quoting tools
- Build and manage a new team of software engineers & product managers to develop and advance new product offerings
- Set technology & architecture direction for the Product Engineering teams
- Provide technical guidance and leadership in order to maximize the pace of innovation and development
- Partner with cross-functional teams and leaders, including Deployment, Solutions Engineering, and Finance, by providing technical leadership, reporting, and owning other internal projects, as needed
- Advanced degree (MS, PhD) in Software Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Robotics, or other relevant engineering field (Similar degree or equivalent practical experience acceptable)
- 8+ years management experience managing technical decision making for multiple software products in a fast paced environment
- Experience with 3D Simulation software such as Unity or Nvidia Isaac Gym
- Expertise in software development, operations and robotics, including experience architecting, designing, developing, and integrating complex systems
- Experience in and comfort with working in early-stage, fast-paced, high-growth environments
- Experience with reinforcement learning for robotics and robotics simulation at scale, with robotics programming and interface development, or with graphical software and building design tools (one of the tree at preferred)
Benefits & Perks
- Health, Dental, & Vision Insurance
- Competitive base salary
- Equity in Formic
- One-time home office setup allowance of $3,000 USD
- Unlimited PTO
- Regular off-site events
- 401k & FSA
Formic is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to our VP of People at [email protected]
More Information on Formic Technologies
Formic Technologies operates in the Robotics industry. The company is located in Chicago, IL. Formic Technologies was founded in 2020. It has 53 total employees. To see all 23 open jobs at Formic Technologies, click here.
Read Full Job Description