Technical Product Manager - Data Operations at UrbanFootprint (Remote)
UrbanFootprint is the world’s first Urban Intelligence Platform. We provide critical intelligence to the institutions that are rebuilding the world's infrastructure. Where does the energy sector invest in electrification, decarbonization, and asset hardening in the face of climate threats? Where do cities and businesses invest to catch up with e-commerce, last-mile delivery, and new mobility? Where do governments deploy relief and new infrastructure to combat record hunger, homelessness, and hazard vulnerability? UrbanFootprint provides detailed and actionable answers to these questions and more.
UrbanFootprint supports organizations in ‘Building Resilience’.’ We organize, normalize, and align thousands of urban, climate, and community metrics across the continental U.S.. The platform delivers targeted insights via dynamic data streams and collaborative web mapping applications. We enable our customers to answer complex ‘where’ questions in minutes versus weeks, months, or years. Our customers include some of the largest energy utilities, major financial institutions, critical government agencies, top urban planning firms, and fast-growing mobility companies.
We’re growing rapidly in a market with a TAM of $22B, and just closed our Series B funding led by Citi Ventures, Valo Ventures, and Radicle Impact.Our founders, Joe DiStefano and Peter Calthorpe, are urban planning pioneers who have spent decades providing critical urban intelligence to cities and enterprises across the globe. UrbanFootprint was named one of the World’s Most Innovative companies in 2021, and is on the GovTech 100 list. Our platform was awarded the top spot in FastCo’s Innovation by Design competition.
As a Product Manager of Data Operations, you’ll be working on the team responsible for building UrbanFootprint’s Data Delivery and Configuration infrastructure - the internal tools, platform and capabilities that allow us to quickly and easily configure our proprietary data and insights to best meet customer needs and ensure that our customers can access data the way they need to. This means meeting our customers where they are and embracing how they interact with data - whether through direct data delivery, integration with their systems and tools, or through our own powerful GIS mapping and analytics applications.
This Product Manager works closely with our Data Science, Data Engineering, and Customer Solutions teams to craft the experiences required to quickly and efficiently customize our data and products to meet customer needs and data usage preferences. This is a high-impact role that affects how customers design environmentally conscious growth, target state and federal relief dollars, and ensure communities most impacted by climate change and environmental hazards are prioritized in infrastructure improvements.
You are passionate about data, software tools, and crafting world-class experiences for end users. You are thoughtful and pragmatic; you understand the business needs of today and the vision for the future and actively drive difficult tradeoff discussions. You thrive in fast-paced environments where you advocate for the right balance between quick solutions needed to immediately address major pain points versus the bigger technology investments required to harden infrastructure and automate data delivery systems over time. Our ideal candidate has past experience as a product manager and a technical data analyst/data engineer. We understand that it’s unusual to find the perfect candidate, so please don’t hesitate to apply even if our ideal candidate profile doesn’t describe you perfectly.What you’ll do:
- Collaborate closely with Data Engineering and our Senior Architect to develop new tools and functionality that allow our Solutions team to easily configure and deliver data products to customers
- Work with internal stakeholders (particularly our Customer Solutions, Success, and Support teams) to find ways to automate and scale the manual work they do daily to help customers
- Maintain and groom a backlog of work to improve our data infrastructure, data processing systems, and the usability of our internal tools and data delivery workflows
- Work with the product team to craft our Data Operations strategy and product roadmap
- Work with Product Designers to create an intuitive experience for the data configuration and delivery tools used by our Solutions team
- Write and maintain internal and customer-facing documentation
- 5+ years working as a Product Manager on a data-heavy software product
- Ability to relentlessly drive alignment across cross-functional teams to make the right trade-off decisions and get things done at pace
- Ability to deeply understand customer needs and craft the best user experience to meet those needs
- Ability to prioritize time and drive decisions quickly - you will sometimes be working on different types of problems and projects at once
- Working knowledge of BI technologies (data pipelines, data warehousing, data visualization) and data analytics (e.g. Dask, Pyspark, or Apache Beam)
- Prior career experience in a technical data role - Data Analyst, Data Engineer, or Data Scientist
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency in at least one SQL dialect
- Strong product design sense - while you’re not a UX Designer, you know how to craft a delightful user experience
- Hands on experience with geospatial and spatio-temporal data including both raster and vector data (such as US census boundaries)
- You are passionate about urban planning, climate resilience, equity, and leveraging data to facilitate a more equitable and resilient society
UrbanFootprint is committed to diversity in its workforce. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.