Sr. Director, Product - Next Gen Playout Platform at Warner Bros. Discovery (Washington DC)
Welcome to Warner Bros. Discovery... the stuff dreams are made of.
Who We Are...
When we say, "the stuff dreams are made of," we're not just referring to the world of wizards, dragons and superheroes, or even to the wonders of Planet Earth. Behind WBD's vast portfolio of iconic content and beloved brands, are the storytellers bringing our characters to life, the creators bringing them to your living rooms and the dreamers creating what's next...
From brilliant creatives, to technology trailblazers, across the globe, WBD offers career defining opportunities, thoughtfully curated benefits, and the tools to explore and grow into your best selves. Here you are supported, here you are celebrated, here you can thrive.
Your New Role...
Warner Bros Discovery is looking for top engineering talent whose technical chops and problem-solving skills are matched only by their passion for building innovative software. This position, within Media Technology and Operations, sits on a team that is working on the next generation of playout for linear and FAST consumption. Our goal is to build an easy to scale platform with multiple use cases, while innovating and iterating to drive down costs and speed time to market.
We are hiring a Sr. Director of Platform Development to join our team. The ideal candidate has a track record of delivery, collaboration, and managing diverse objectives across a platform. They have the ability to delegate to other teams while keeping the overall platform objectives on target. This technical leader will ensure we're on the right technical path and drive the delivery of the platform, coordinating with product and development teams.
Your Role Accountabilities...
1. You understand a broad range of computer science concepts, and know how, where, when, and when not, to use them. You can dive deep into a wide range of technical problems, offering suggestions and feedback to your team. Your interest in technology has not faded as you moved into a leadership role and you are still comfortable with technical details.
2. You work with key stakeholders to deliver a high-quality product ensuring that the platform development is, and always remains, under control and on track to deliver required functionality by stage.
3. Your written and verbal communication skills can distill key points out of complex technical descriptions to share with non-technical stakeholders, adapting your language and style of communication depending on the audience. You communicate through data, dates and facts; using emotion and empathy to collaborate with colleagues and business partners.
4. You are comfortable with making platform wide technology decisions while mitigating, as much as possible, with solutions to impacts for multiple teams.
5. You have a deep history in the media industry, specifically around streaming, playout, and emerging technology.
6. You have demonstrated the capacity to make decisions for more than one functional area showing that your judgment is broad based and logical, not technology or product specific.
Qualifications & Experiences...
• 8+ years in a leadership role - leading and managing development of products and platforms. Providing direction, setting goals, and ensuring delivery in partnership with stakeholders and development leaders.
• 5+ years of experience in media, specifically encoding and streaming platforms.
• Domain experience with ABR, SCTE, HLS encoding, and in-signal messaging.
• Domain experience with Linear/Broadcast Playout Systems
• A bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent work experience.
• Hands-on expertise in disparate technologies - front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between.
• Knowledge of application architecture, design, implementation, and performance as a feature.
• Experience in modern DevOps practices such as CI/CD, performance monitoring & incident management
• Thorough understanding of metrics and benchmarks, problem solving, and risk and complexity analysis.
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
How We Get Things Done...
This last bit is probably the most important! Here at WBD, our guiding principles are the core values by which we operate and are central to how we get things done. You can find them at www.wbd.com/guiding-principles/ along with some insights from the team on what they mean and how they show up in their day to day. We hope they resonate with you and look forward to discussing them during your interview.
The Legal Bits...
In compliance with local law, we are disclosing the compensation, or a range thereof, for roles in locations where legally required. $130,767.00 - $242,853.00 salary per year. Other rewards may include annual bonuses, short- and long-term incentives, and program-specific awards. In addition, Warner Bros. Discovery provides a variety of benefits to employees, including health insurance coverage, an employee wellness program, life and disability insurance, a retirement savings plan, paid holidays and paid time off (PTO).
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
If you're a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at [email protected].