Senior Technical Product Manager at Upwork (Remote)
Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We help connect companies large and small with top independent talent from around the world. Simply put, our mission is to create economic opportunities so people have better lives.
Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled independent professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere.
Do you have a passion for technology or more importantly what technology does for people? Join us and demonstrate your thought leadership to drive focus around what matters - the customer! As a Senior Technical Product Manager for this team you will own the productization of Experience Health Management; how we proactively understand and manage the health of the User/Customer’s experience beyond the technology underneath.
The Cloud Engineering team is at the core of the technology engine that enables the Upwork platform. We engineer and own all infrastructure, platform services, automation, tooling and drive Service Engineering. This is a critical role at the intersection of our technology and the experience of our customers (businesses & independent talent) as they connect through our marketplace. You will use data to translate technology issues into experience impact so that our teams can automate and increase resiliency where it matters. We call this Experience Health Management vs just technology management.
The successful candidate will have previous experience productizing for internal consumption, public cloud (cloud infrastructure and platforms) and in-house technology services and be able to translate user journeys into engineering requirements. Previous experience with marketplace products is a plus.Your Responsibilities:
- Be the product owner for Experience Health Management initiatives to measure and define experience health metrics, monitors and automated remediation
- Develop the requirements, collaborate on prioritization & lead the execution of the roadmap for our experience health monitoring, automation & tooling projects within Service Engineering.
- Collaborate with the Product Experience team to define performance & SLO targets for the critical monitors that alert or trigger automation for degraded/availability issues within the core customer workflows
- Understand internal partner, customer, and freelancer journeys in depth and translate those into clear technical requirements for implementation.
- Work with Service Engineering teams to analyze data from incidents and chaos engineering efforts to drive improvements (and/or new projects) into the plan.
- Lead ongoing prioritization and status of initiatives and features, trade-off discussions and communication of timelines to all partners.
- Actively maintain a view of how the market, competition and technologies are evolving, and factor it, as well as feedback from internal groups and customers, into the product direction
- Ownership over being the voice of the customer and translating technology to the customer experience.
- Hands-on experience in a variety of Technical Product Management roles. Preferably a combination of technical and business roles, especially in two-sided marketplace business models.
- Rich knowledge of event monitoring techniques/tools, such as synthetic monitoring, real user monitoring, anomaly detection and event correlation.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize aggressively across conflicting dimensions; distill down to minimum viable product
- Attention to detail combined with drive. You lead projects and take pride in seeing them through to full completion.
- Ability to innovate and encourage others by allowing teams to craft new techniques and approaches that drive significant change
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also support hiring of corporate full-time employees in 15 states in the United States. Please speak with a member of our recruitment team to determine whether you are located in a state in which we are hiring corporate full-time employees.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.