Senior Product Manager - Git Systems at GitHub (Remote)
GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help build GitHub!
We are looking for a product manager for the Git Systems group. Git Systems powers the largest code-hosting platform in the world. Our group is responsible for the services that store and serve Git repositories, both directly to users and to other layers in the GitHub software stack. We need a platform-oriented product manager to take us to the next level.
In this role, you’ll work with a global team of mission-driven “Hubbers”, including some of the top Git contributors. You’ll drive work in several technical areas, such as…
- Operation and improvements to Git infrastructure: file servers, Git protocols, Git backups, Git LFS, serving files and tarballs, Subversion interop, and more.
- Key open source Git projects relevant to GitHub’s business: Git, Git for Windows, Git LFS, the Git Credential Manager, and libgit2.
- Delivering capabilities for the largest monorepo workloads (1000s of engineers, 1000s of PRs, 100s of GBs).
- Partnering closely with Repos and Pull Requests teams to deliver excellent end-to-end version control scenarios.
- Advising customers, support, and the field on best practices and improvements to their Git workflows.
Working at GitHub, you’ll be challenged and rewarded with global impact. With over 65 million developers contributing on GitHub, there’s simply no other destination where your work can have a larger impact on the developer community.
We value collaboration, empathy, quality, positive impact and shipping. The most successful candidates will exhibit work that reflects these values. We want you to enable every team member to do their best work, and we'll partner to do the same for you. We expect you to have a strong technical background, excellent communication skills and a commitment to make everyone on your team feel included.
In this role, you’ll have tremendous opportunity to learn, collaborate and impact the habits of developers everywhere. As a Product Manager, you will:
- Own the product vision for Git at GitHub. As the person responsible for product strategy, you’ll build the vision for your product area and ensure it aligns with our overall company strategy. You’ll make tough prioritization decisions while helping the team think strategically about long-term opportunities while balancing short term objectives.
- Become an expert. You’ll become an authority on the practices, innovations, trends, and history of this domain. You’ll share your vision with others both inside and outside of the company so we can make GitHub a better home for all developers.
- Represent the customer. You’ll serve as the champion and voice of customers in every conversation. You will build direct relationships with customers and immerse yourself in their experience of the product. You’ll also strive to ensure everyone on our team understands our customers’ needs.
- Collaborate across teams. Your success will require coordination across multiple teams and disciplines at GitHub. You’ll play a critical role creating alignment between partner teams and ensure we all succeed together as a team.
Make data-informed decisions. You’ll use both quantitative and qualitative data to identify customer pain points, and use this information to prioritize your product roadmap.
- Experiment. You’ll drive improvements through iterative design and experimentation. You’ll gather data to build a strong understanding of the customer, the friction they experience, and the solutions that lead to a better developer experience.
- Measure success. You’ll own the definition of “success” for your product area – making sure the criteria are measurable, attainable, visible to all stakeholders, and create the right incentives.
- You have a BS (or higher, e.g., MS, or PhD) in Computer Science or a related technical field involving coding (e.g., analytics or mathematics), or equivalent technical experience
- 3+ years engineering, product management, or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated ability to translate complex and sometimes ambiguous data into actionable priorities
- Comfort working in a highly technical domain
- Strong desire to empower others and build an inclusive team
- Familiarity with one or more of the following:
- Version control systems
- GitHub and its users (or have used GitHub yourself)
- Developer tools
- Enterprise development practices
- Continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Cloud computing technologies and design patterns
- Software security and compliance products
- APIs or developer-oriented products
Nice to have, but not required:
- Excellent written & oral communication skills
- Proficiency in one or more major programming languages
- Experience working across multiple disciplines (e.g. Sales, Marketing, Finance, Legal, Support, Product, Engineering, Research, and Design)
- Experience working remotely with tools like Slack or Zoom
- Strong organizational skills both at an individual and team level
(Colorado only*) Minimum salary of $104,000 to maximum $170,400 + bonus + equity + benefits.
· Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20) of the minimum salary compensation for this role when being hired in Colorado.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.