Senior Director, Product (remote) at Ad Hoc (Cleveland, OH)
Ad Hoc is a digital services company that helps the government better serve people through modern technology and product development practices. Some examples of the services we support include Healthcare.gov and VA.gov, both of which are used by millions of people. We help implement modern technologies that government agencies are increasingly interested in, bringing in best practices as we do: among other things, this includes API design, implementation, and governance; platform infrastructure for developers; responsive, accessible websites; and mobile applications.
Our company is growing quickly, with close to 100 practitioners in the product discipline. We are looking for a Senior Director of Product who can help evolve the culture, practices, and systems that will enable us to deliver impact at scale.
The Senior Director of Product is the leader and cultural steward of the product management team at Ad Hoc. They are responsible for managing the overall “health” of the product practice, which includes defining best practices and approaches that support a 21st century government, as well as building a diverse team and an inclusive culture that supports our people as we grow.
The Senior Director of Product will work alongside the Technology leadership from our other disciplines including engineering, experience (research and design) and data to guide a unified experience for how we work at Ad Hoc. Finally, this role will serve as a public-facing evangelist for more effective product practices within government and drive thought-leadership in these areas.
Successful candidates will have a track-record of building high-performing product teams as well as leading at scale. The willingness to dive in and build new systems and processes, sometimes from scratch, is essential, as is leading through influence within a matrixed environment. Previous experience working in a client services organization (i.e., consulting or a digital agency) is helpful but not required, as is interest in working with the government.
This role reports to the VP of Technology.
- Articulate a forward-thinking vision for product management within government.
- Execute a roadmap for how the product team at Ad Hoc should evolve by developing new capabilities and approaches that meet the needs of our people and the market.
- Define and create the frameworks and processes that help us learn, build, and measure how we operate and evolve
- Develop artifacts and other content that highlights the value of Ad Hoc’s approach, and codifies lessons-learned.
- Develop the core approaches that guide how our product managers work and which support the health and wellbeing of the product discipline at Ad Hoc.
- Lead a team of Product Directors that enable our business units to deliver successfully, and with excellence, across a wide portfolio of programs.
- Define and communicate the impact of product at Ad Hoc across a wide portfolio of programs.
- Ensure that team members have clear pathways for growth and that we have the necessary supporting systems in place to support performance at scale. Evolve the product career ladder as needed.
- Serve as a coach, mentor and role model for Ad Hoc’s senior product staff.
- Promote knowledge-sharing across disciplines and teams; develop artifacts and other content that highlights the value of Ad Hoc’s approach, and codify lessons-learned.
- Support recruitment and staffing processes
- Identify organizational roadblocks inhibiting success. Help define, manage and deliver on key initiatives that support operational needs within the company in partnership with other groups within the organization.
- Promote knowledge-sharing across technology disciplines and across the company. Align perspectives and work together cross-functionally to achieve our mission.
- Work with business, program, and practice leadership to guide the direction of our products and to develop product-driven strategies that support Ad Hoc’s business goals.
- Help our business grow in the right way by supporting growth efforts, as needed, to ensure that the capabilities and interests of our people align with the work we pursue.
All Ad Hoc Leaders are expected to embody Ad Hoc’s core values in their leadership and to hold their team accountable to the same. Ad Hoc Leaders are expected to ensure we are always growing by tackling hard problems, being strategic and learning from others. Ad Hoc Leaders are expected to lead with humility. This involves being there for their teams, having a perspective, and demonstrating low/no ego in their leadership.
- 8+ years working within the product function or closely related role
- 3+ years leading a mid-sized product organization, or equivalent
- Experience leading an organization at scale (Multi-team environment. Lead of leads experience.)
- Proven experience leading multiple product focuses including product managers, product owners, scrum managers, and strategy.
- Strong understanding of modern product management, lean product thinking practices and enterprise SAFe.
Desired but not required:
- Government or government contracting experience
Although this position is remote, team members in this role are expected to occasionally attend in-person team events, client and/or partner meetings as required by business needs. In-person attendance at these meetings and events is an essential function of this role as a leader of people at Ad Hoc.
In support of the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Act, and others like it across the country, Ad Hoc job descriptions feature the starting range we reasonably expect to pay to candidates who would join our team with little to no need for training on the responsibilities we've outlined above. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide range of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and responsibility. The range of starting pay for this role is $200,000 - $250,000 and information on benefits offered is here. Our recruiters will be happy to answer any questions you may have, and we look forward to learning more about your salary requirements.