Product Manager, Parse.ly at Automattic (Remote)
We are seeking a Product Manager with an interest in B2B SaaS, content analytics, and building technology for content creators. In this role, you'll help Parse.ly improve our core content analytics platform and see features through from customer discovery to analyzing the results of your team's efforts after launch.
Parse.ly is the content analytics platform trusted by professional storytellers. We believe the most successful companies in the digital world are the ones with the best content. Our content analytics platform is used by over 300 enterprises and installed on over 12,000 sites, including Bloomberg, Slate, Arstechnica, and Elastic.
And people love working here! Parse.ly has been a fully distributed team since founding, with all engineers, designers, and product managers working from home offices across the globe. We value a healthy work-life balance. You can pick your kid up from soccer practice or alter your working hours to take a class, no sweat. For more about our culture, check out our Glassdoor rating or our team page.
Most of the product team is located near the US/Eastern time zone. Even though we operate on a distributed/asynchronous model, we like to have timezone overlap for face-to-face (video) meetings, customer chats, and pair collaboration. If you can regularly make meetings between 11am and 4pm US/Eastern, you're in a workable timezone for us. Much of our team is US-based, but we'll also consider other timezone-aligned locations in North America and South America (e.g. Canada, Mexico) for this role.What you’ll do
- Work closely with engineers to identify, test, and iterate on features that make choosing Parse.ly a no-brainer for content teams.
- Effectively communicate with business and product team members to drive alignment and motivate smart people to do their best work.
- Talk to our customers to understand their most pressing problems and disseminate those insights to the product team.
- Use qualitative and quantitative measures to inform product development and determine whether your solutions are solving the problem.
- Collaborate with execs and engineering directors to define product strategy and vision.
- Experience in the SaaS industry where you’ve launched product(s) into the market while involved in the software lifecycle from start to finish.
- You can speak both the customer and tech language. You can analyze, grasp, and translate user feedback to the engineering team. You aim for a continuous product improvement process.
- Tech-curious. You love to explore the tech world, learn, and build on the creative potential of the people around you.
- Outcome-oriented. You know your job isn’t done once a feature has shipped. You measure the success of your work based on results.
- Customer-obsessed. You have an empathy for customer needs and an intellectual curiosity to serve those needs through technology.
- Iteratively-inclined. You know how to break down a problem or project into small pieces and you bias toward shipping.
- Some programming or engineering background. You’ve done hands-on coding work and, with time, grew into a product-oriented role.
- Some experience with other analytics products. For example, if you’ve used Google Analytics, Segment, MixPanel, Amplitude, Heap, or other similar analytics products in depth, you’ll have a good understanding of our problem domain from a high level.
Parse.ly is part of WordPress VIP, the enterprise division of Automattic. Here are a few highlights of benefits for Automatticans:
- Work from home with a true "remote-first" or "fully distributed" mindset. You can work from your home, or from anywhere else, in our industry-leading fully distributed team. We’ve been "remote-first" since our founding!
- Time off. Our open vacation policy (no set number of days per year) is designed to help you to be at your best! There is no minimum or maximum, but we encourage you to take at least 25 days of time off per year.
- Health care. Automattic pays 100% of plan premiums for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and eligible dependents.
- 401K. 100% match on your contributions up to 6% of annual earnings. You’re eligible to participate in Automattic’s 401(k) plan on your first day of employment. Match is fully vested from day one.
- Parental leave. Open parental leave (including maternity, paternity, LGBTQ+, and adoption for all parents). If you’ve been with Automattic for 12 months, your leave up to 6 months is fully paid.
Though you will interview for the Parse.ly team within WordPress VIP and Automattic, if you receive a job offer, it will be to become an Automattician, which means having colleagues who observe the Automattic creed and getting access to Automattic's excellent employee benefits. Automattic’s benefits can vary by location. See our benefits based on where you are in the world.
Automatticians are the people behind WordPress.com, WooCommerce, Tumblr, Simplenote, Jetpack, Longreads, Day One, PocketCasts, and more. We believe in making the web a better place. There are more than 1900 Automatticians in 96 countries speaking 120+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.How to apply
Does this sound exciting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. Please include answers to these questions in your cover letter.
- Include a 1-3 paragraph intro to why you're interested in this role. Let us know what part of the position interests you.
- If available, provide a link to a relevant project you worked on, white paper you drafted, presentation you gave, blog post you published, or anything else you think is relevant for this role.
We recognize that interviewing can be a long and stressful process, and that your time is valuable. Here’s what you can expect after you apply.
- If we decide to move forward with your application, you’ll receive an email from someone at Automattic inviting you to fill out a quick survey.
- If we decide to move forward after the survey, the hiring manager will reach out for an interview. Plan on chatting for an hour over a video conference.
- Next, you would meet for 1:1 calls with two additional members of the hiring committee.
- The final step is a short take-home test. You will be compensated for this work.
- After that, we’ll let you know what our final decision is, and if we’re making an offer or moving on with other candidates.
We are the people behind WordPress.com, WooCommerce, Tumblr, Simplenote, Jetpack, Longreads, Day One, PocketCasts, and more. We believe in making the web a better place.
We’re a distributed company with more than 2000 Automatticians in 96 countries speaking 120+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.