Product Manager, Data at Jellyvision
Jellyvision is hiring a Product Manager, Data
Jellyvision’s headquarters is in Chicago, and, post-COVID, many of us will be returning to the Chicago offices (by choice, not requirement -- our philosophy is “Flexible First”). But this position is also eligible for work by a remote employee out of CA, FL, GA, IL, KY, MA, MI, MN, NY, NC, OH, OR, PA, TX, UT, WA, or WI.
What we do
We’re the proud parents of ALEX®, an interactive employee communications platform that makes choosing (and using) employee benefits easier and more enjoyable. Our credo is a simple one: be helpful. And we think the best way to achieve that is with a staff that reflects the vast range of ideas, perspectives, and experiences of the millions of people who use our products.
Who we are
Jellyvision is committed to continuous evolution and to fostering a more diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone is welcomed, valued, and respected. It doesn’t matter your race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, sex, or country of origin...we just want amazing people who are willing to grow along with us.
How you'll help
The role of a Product Manager at Jellyvision is to perform ongoing stakeholder and product discovery to validate needs, launch and scale new solutions to benefit our constituents, and measure the success of the things that we do. Specifically, the Product Manager for Data will focus on the needs and requirements of data at Jellyvision -- where it’s housed; how it’s structured; how it moves from place to place; who has access to it; what we’re doing (and not doing) with it; and whether all of the above are serving our needs as a business.
What you'll do
- In partnership with the Data team, evaluate and evolve the strategy for how JV should handle our data. Maintain and advocate for the health of product-specific data pipelines, the ways that data move around our systems, and the stability and integrity of our data warehouse. Ensure that Jellyvision is consistently storing the right data in the right places and in the right format to achieve our goals.
- Initiate product discovery efforts for problems pertinent to the handling of data.
- Create and maintain a four-quarter rolling roadmap for data initiatives at Jellyvision -- encompassing both Data Engineering and Data Science.
- Serve as the day-to-day Product Owner for the Data team (which includes Data Engineers, Data Analysts, and Data Scientists): attend team meetings/events, manage the backlog, solve problems, gain consensus and make decisions, and ensure the team is always working on the highest-priority initiatives.
- Prioritize ruthlessly and effectively to avoid team overload and spin.
- Work with the Data team to create, test, and evaluate concepts. Make decisions on what moves forward, iterates, or gets shelved based on product development pipeline stage gate questions.
- Based on performance, propose and drive key iterations, pivot/sunset decisions, and the roadmap for future work. Be proactive in developing options to ensure the team can be successful.
- Create requirements and work with cross-functional teams (Creative, Production, Engineering, etc) to continually prioritize and execute features, define releases, write stories, etc.
- Collaborate with other Product Managers to help them achieve their business objectives.
- With support and buy-in from key stakeholders, establish and enforce a data governance strategy organization-wide.
Experience & skills you'll need
- 4+ years of product management experience, ideally in a Data-related space
- Savvy stakeholder management chops
- A compliance- and security-focused mindset; specific PII, PHI, and/or HIPAA experience is a plus
- The ability to talk technically about data with engineers, and then turn around and talk non-technically with other constituents; existing knowledge about how Data Engineering works on the whole is a huge plus
- Strong analytical skills: Able to understand business performance and make decisions based on the data
- Strong communication skills: Able to present new concepts and ideas to internal stakeholders and executives along with partners to promote and gain feedback on new features and products
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams and work cross-functionally
- A working knowledge of data models in general, and enough knowledge to be dangerous about various data infrastructure/structures
- Baseline familiarity with Data Science as a discipline: you don’t have to be a Data Scientist yourself, but you’ll need to be able to work with our Data Scientists to understand what they are (and could be) working on, and help evangelize their work and capabilities across the org
- Experience working with one or more BI tools, such as Power BI, Tableau, Looker, Domo…
- Basic data analysis chops are a plus (we have dedicated Data Analysts, but love folks who can moonlight here)
- Customer focus
- Communicates effectively
- Nimble learning
- Decision quality
- Balances stakeholders
- Plans and aligns
- Manages ambiguity
Thanks for your interest in Jellyvision!