Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
Benchling’s developer platform exposes APIs and interfaces to connect a company’s digital source of truth to the real world, and extend how Benchling itself works. Our customers write custom scientific analysis logic, and have it run after certain actions. Instruments automatically upload measurements into Benchling as they’re taken. In some cases, entire experimental processes are designed in Benchling and carried out by robots, which measure out samples and move them from one instrument to the next.
The potential of these integrations is extraordinary, but it’s still fundamentally built customer-by-customer. We’re building out an app ecosystem to change that. In a couple years, any customer, including the majority of small ones who don’t have engineering teams, will be able to install apps to hook Benchling up to their lab instruments, run more specialized analyses, and connect to other common software platforms they have. Think about Salesforce’s AppExchange, or Slack Apps — these took the potential of their developer platforms and gave it to every customer, and created an entire marketplace for third-parties to extend further. Labs have the same need, and are waiting for something like this.
The framework for building apps on Benchling is already underway, and we support basic apps now. We’re on track to have a dozen or so built on it by the end of the year. We need somebody to chart the path forward from there, and develop the burgeoning ecosystem that sits at the intersection of biology and tech.YOUR IMPACT
- Define the 2-3 year vision and product roadmap for our app ecosystem
- Work with our eng team to design and launch our app framework
- Work closely with our customers to understand how they’re using our product, their needs, and their pain points
- Partner with our strategy team to develop an approach for how we’ll build out the ecosystem. E.g. the order to tackle different market segments, what apps (or classes of apps) we should encourage first, etc.
- Partner with strategy, sales, and marketing to develop our pricing, packaging, and distribution models for the ecosystem
- 8+ years as a Product Manager (or a similar role), working with enterprise software and integrations
- 3+ years experience working on app ecosystems
- Track record of being data-influenced, with sound reasoning for strategy decisions from that data
- Excellent at listening to others and articulating ideas in written and oral form
- Influential leadership and interpersonal skills that enable you to build strong relationships with customers, your reports, company peers, and executives
Nice to haves:
- Comfortable with programming, especially in scripting languages
- Experience in developer relations, or other partnership-building with software developers
- Experience with lab software, particularly instruments and LIMS software
We are an equal opportunity employer. That means we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Our leadership principles guide how all Benchlings can lead by example:
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause undue hardship.
If you are a Colorado, Connecticut, or New York City resident: Please contact us by emailing [email protected] to receive compensation and benefits information for this role. Please include the job title in the subject line of the email.