VP of Operations at The Looma Project (Raleigh, NC or Remote)
Looma exists to connect shoppers to the people and stories behind food & beverage products. Our first product, Loop™, is a network of smart tablets in grocery stores that play short, human-centric films connecting producer to consumer. The data generated by Loop™ fuels our proprietary film production and optimization processes, forming a flywheel we believe will one day power the world’s most sophisticated platform for human-centric point-of-decision video.
Looma's Operations team is responsible for all physical elements of Loop™, including the procurement, installation, and maintenance of our hardware and supporting elements. Because of the distributed nature of our hardware, Operations is also responsible for managing the labor required to support our network, which is a blend of full-time staff, part-time associates, and third-party partners. This role will be our most senior Operations hire and will therefore be responsible for building and executing our strategy for supporting thousands of stores nationwide. The VP of Ops will report directly to our CEO.
The responsibilities for this role can be split into three primary categories:
- Hardware Procurement & Inventory Management (20%)
- New Store Deployments (30%)
- Network Health & Maintenance (50%)
Hardware Procurement & Inventory Management (20%)
- Develop and manage relationships with key suppliers (US-based and abroad)
- Map inventory needs and warehousing solutions as we expand Loop™ nationally
- Develop partnerships and automations that improve Loop’s unit economics with scale
- Maintain financial projections for the Operations team
New Store Deployments (30%)
- Oversee project plans for all pilots and rollouts, with particular attention to ensuring store teams are informed and excited about Loop™
- Coordinate the right mix of full-time staff, part-time staff, and third party partners for each deployment
- Develop standardized processes for tablet installation, reducing training time for new installers
- Test and execute stellar in-store experiences in collaboration with Looma’s Shopper Experience departments
- Contribute to the vision for Loop’s product portfolio
Network Health & Maintenance (50%)
- Maintain >99% uptime for deployed units, building systems to ensure maintenance issues are addressed within 48 hours
- Ensure >90% program (merchandising) execution through the development of cohesive retailer / supplier communications and best-in-class execution reporting
- Design and implement robust performance management tracking across all elements of Operations (i.e., Field Operations, Network Maintenance, Supply Chain, etc.)
- Gritty, but optimistic: undaunted by difficult problems, comfortable with occasional long hours, and good under pressure — optimistic all the while
- Systematic, detail-oriented, and organized: loves to build processes, superb project management skills, etc.
- Data savvy: excited to build performance measurement systems, uncover insights, and turn those insights into actionable strategies in the field
- Articulate and confident: able to engage with the country’s largest grocers, from senior corporate leaders to store teams
- Technically savvy: able to understand the core technical components of Looma’s product and supporting network
- Experience in retail operations and/or hardware deployment is strongly preferred
Structure & Compensation
Looma will provide a competitive compensation package consisting of base salary and stock options. All Looma compensation packages include cash / equity flexibility (i.e. you can opt for more equity and less cash or vice-versa).
- Employee coverage for health, dental, and vision (gold plan)
- Unlimited PTO (15-day minimum)
- 12-week primary caregiver leave
- Flexible office setting (office, flex, or WFH, with associated stipends)
- $100/month craftsmanship stipend
Looma’s Hiring Philosophy
Looma believes culture is one of the strongest predictors of success for a startup. Strong contributors to Looma’s culture will exhibit the following characteristics:
- Emotional Intelligence
Diversity & Nondiscrimination
Looma believes diversity is a fundamental good, and we are committed to promoting diversity both in our workplace and through the stories we tell. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status, class or caste status, or any other protected class. Our global nondiscrimination policy covers these protected classes in every market in which we do business.
CPG, Retail, Operations, Leadership, Strategy, Craft Beer, Wine, Startup, Venture Capital, Retail Tech, Adtech, Retail Media, Consumer Goods