Underwriting Associate (Excess Casualty)
Underwriting Associates for our Excess Casualty Renewal Center provide renewal support to all CNA branches for eligible Excess Casualty accounts for a diverse mix of business and industry classes including Manufacturing, Distributors, Real Estate, Technology, Retail, Hospitality and Professional Services. Accounts range in size up to 50k in premium.
CNA distributes its products through key Agency partners and manages the production of those relationships through high visibility, superior customer service, and demonstrating excellence in technical underwriting disciplines. Our operating model focuses on underwriting performance, exposure-based pricing, and building strong producer and customer relationships. This is accomplished by executing to CNA's core principles and maintaining a strong working relationship with internal business units including Claims and Risk Control.
Under broad supervision, this individual will be responsible for the underwriting lifecycle from submission through policy issuance for eligible Mono-line Lead Umbrella and Excess renewals. This includes the key processes of quoting and binding renewals with our business partners.
This position can work fully remote or hybrid at one of our field offices.
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
1. Performs underwriting analysis and documentation to determine acceptability of risk in accordance with company guidelines and standards for renewal within assigned Letter of Underwriting Authority.
2. Handles endorsement requests within delegated authority. Refers endorsements outside of authority to underwriter with recommended action. Independently engages agency to clarify intent of endorsement or seek missing information.
3. Handles assigned renewal book within assigned authority and demonstrates the ability to triage renewal applications/specs and formulate next steps for the underwriter with outlined changes or points of attention for accounts outside authority.
4. Works as a liaison with the branch or across CNA to resolve issues (billing and collections; risk control; underwriting services; guidance from segment and line of business leaders; underwriting services; operations; subject matter experts)
5. Documents assigned files ensuring completeness, compliance and quality (correspondence, proposals, endorsements, cancellations, etc.).
6. Executes on pricing strategy (i.e. business unit pricing tools) in compliance with regulatory and CNA specific underwriting strategies and demonstrates ability to document pricing rationale
7. Completes quote proposals and negotiates with external partners within assigned authority.
8. Leveraged as the first-line point of contact to the producers/customers on account related matters while proactively identifying opportunities for up sell or account rounding.
9. Expert on systems and workflows. Serves as a resource to others (train, problem solver, coach) and conduit for feedback to internal underwriting partners.
10. Keeps current on line of business strategy state/territory issues regulations and trends.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Supervisor or Manager
Skills Knowledge & Abilities
1. Strong time management and analytical skills
2. Strong interpersonal and communications skills. Ability to effectively interact with all levels of CNA's internal and external business partners.
3. Demonstrated ability to work independently on multiple tasks.
4. Strong capability to advise and coach others.
5. Demonstrated customer service experience and the ability to interact with a wide-variety of people on a daily basis in person via telephone and email.
6. Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite as well as other business-related software.
7. Knowledge of Property and Casualty insurance preferred.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
2. Typically a minimum of three years of related work experience.
CNA is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in the recruitment process. To request an accommodation, please contact [email protected] .