New hires in office-based roles in the US & Puerto Rico will be required, subject to applicable law, to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or qualify for a medical or religious exemption to this vaccination requirement that can be accommodated without an undue burden to the operation. However, subject to applicable law, employees working in roles that the Company determines require routine collaboration with external stakeholders, such as employees in health services, customer facing commercial, or research based roles, will be required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment.
Our IT team operates as a business partner proposing ideas and innovative solutions that enable new organizational capabilities. We collaborate internationally to deliver the services and solutions that help everyone to be more productive and enable innovation.
As the Director of Portfolio Management and IT TCO Product Management, you must be passionate about helping your stakeholders be successful in both meeting their project commitments, deliver their required business outcomes, and meet the overall financial expectations. You must be experienced in Financial & Program management and able to handle large, complex programs.
The Director of these multiple areas will need to demonstrate the following expertise:
- Manage a $650M+ total set of spend across all infrastructure areas, ensuring financial commitments are achieved (no longer just a $170M portfolio set of spend)
- Identify spend trends to ensure the yearly forecasts are accurate and achievable, making recommendations when shifts are required
- Facilitate financial discussions with Senior Leader Network members and their respective LT's, concisely reporting out the current financial state, and where action is required
- Work as part of a larger team to identify mechanisms to lower the overall run costs of the TIO&E division, creating opportunities to redirect to higher value portfolio needs. Further as new and unplanned requests arise, find levers to offset so that the overall TIO&E budget remains on plan
- Drive the on-going portfolio process, ensuring all business cases are presented with high quality in alignment with program needs and planned review dates
- Facilitate the quarterly business reviews ensuring that the business cases are delivering the intended outcomes aligned with their spend profiles
IT TCO Product Management:
- Work collectively with key stakeholders to understand emerging TCO needs for incorporation into the IT Product Backlog for Apptio and onto the product roadmap
- Ensure the Apptio product development team is meeting its commitments, executing in an agile fashion, and delivering the intended value back to its stakeholders
- Understand Apptio's product roadmap to understand applicability with future demand that can be delivered out of the box
- Work collectively with the Finance organization on mechanisms to upskill the financial acumen of key roles in the IT organization
- Partner with Senior Leaders to demonstrate each division's progress on TCO management and identify places where further investigation should take place.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Minimum of 4-year Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Data Analytics, Finance, or equivalent.
Required Experience and Skills:
- At least 10 years of experience in managing IT financials, portfolio management, and program management
- Strong understanding of the various components comprising IT's total cost of ownership (portfolio, MS&O, depreciation, and workforce)
- Strong communication (written, oral, presentation, listening), negotiation and influencing skills inclusive of working well with Senior IT leaders
- Strong relationship building skills
- Experience in working in a matrix environment, using influence rather than control, and fostering a work environment based on trust, sharing and collaboration
- Passion and ability to coach and mentor Product and Project Managers / Scrum Masters
- Ability to contribute fresh ideas and share experiences to define, implement and support a global resource management capability that doesn't yet exist.
- Awareness and flexibility to change process and plans as necessary to ensure continuous improvement of our resource management capability
- Excellent facilitation, consultation and influencing skills including experience managing outsourced service providers.
Our Support Functions deliver services and make recommendations about ways to enhance our workplace and the culture of our organization. Our Support Functions include HR, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Procurement, Administration, Facilities and Security.
Who we are ...
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for ...
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us-and start making your impact today.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Residents of Colorado
Click here to request this role's pay range.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another's thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Flex Time, Telecommuting
1st - Day
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: