Technical Specialist Principal - Optical Bonding at Ball Aerospace (Greater Boulder Area)
At Ball Aerospace, we care about the health and safety of our team members, their families and our communities. Ball Aerospace will comply with Executive Order 14042 and all team members will be required to provide proof of completed vaccination status as a condition of employment as stated within the Order, subject to approved medical or religious accommodations.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Technical Specialist Principal – Optical Bonding
Join Ball Aerospace’s Optics department as a Principal Technical Specialist! In this role, you will be an optical bonding expert and provide technical support for state-of-the-art space-based optical remote sensing systems and other spaceflight hardware for a variety of applications.
What You'll Do:
- Receive and inspect flight optical components, such as:
- Scratch Dig
- Damage inspection
- Vendor data package review
- Processes flight optics such as:
- Performance measurement (pre- and post- bond)
- Integration (component, subassembly and assembly level)
- Measure and test flight optics, such as:
- Transmitted Wavefront Error
- Other specific tests for optical elements
- Work in a team environment with engineers, technicians, and other technical specialists.
- Maintain electronic build records, required logs, records, and reports in accordance with company policies/procedures and government regulations.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- High School diploma or equivalent plus 18 years or more related experience or a related 2-year technical degree and 16 years or more related experience.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Bachelor’s or Master’s, may substitute for two years of related experience. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Extensive optical bonding experience; proven record of bonding and processing optics in a cleanroom environment.
- Experience working with optics for state-of the-art systems (such as Aerospace, lithography, science, or other high technology).
- Working knowledge of Geometric, Dimensioning and Tolerance (GD&T).
- Solid knowledge of optical engineering fundamentals preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools such as Word, Excel, Outlook, et al.
- Experience using Matlab preferred.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $42.79 - $57.93 per hour (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
Job Referral Fee: $1,000.00
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.