Technical Specialist I at Ball Aerospace (Greater Boulder Area)
At Ball Aerospace, we care about the health and safety of our team members, their families and our communities. Ball Aerospace will comply with Executive Order 14042 should it be reinstated.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Operations Strategic Support Unit plays a fundamental role in enabling efficient business and program execution – from technologies and investments to supply chain, manufacturing and test operations, facilities management, and information technology services.
Technical Specialist I
Specialist will be responsible for performing intermediate to high level spacecraft instrumentation integration tasks working in a team environment and interfacing with internal customers. Tasks include, but not limited to, machining piece parts to engineering requirements/drawings, bonding, staking, and torqueing, critical moves, and critical lifts.
What You’ll Do:
- Perform mechanical assembly operations including bonding, staking, torqueing and critical moves.
- Work to detailed drawings in a clean room environment interfacing with personnel from different disciplines.
- Travel to, and support, complex field operations for flight hardware from delivery, launch, and post launch operations.
- Perform critical match machine operations to tolerances less than .001 inch.
- Generate workflow and manufacturability aspects for program scheduling purposes.
- Maintain electronic build documents, required logs, records and reports in accordance with Ball Aerospace policies and government regulations.
- Review and correctly interpret schematics, drawings, specifications, and procedures.
- Design and fabricate basic holding fixtures.
- Make suggestions relating to the machining, fabrication, and assembly to perform the most intricate machining and assemblies.
- Plan and successfully machine parts to precision tolerances of (less than 0.001).
- Perform functions in various work centers including Weld, MLI, Sheet metal, Clean lab, and Metal Finish.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units/Strategic Support Units, and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- High School Diploma or equivalent and 12 or more years of related experience or a two-year technical degree and 10 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Bachelor’s or Master’s, may substitute for two years of related experience. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- 4 or more years of experience with machine shop equipment including 2 axis CNC milling machines and tool room lathes preferred.
- Ability to function in a team environment interfacing effectively with both customers and teammates from different disciplines.
Full-Time On-Site Work Environment: This position requires regular in-person engagement by working on-site full-time. Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, clean room, or production floor.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $32.21 - $43.51 per hour (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.