SVP of Technology at Jellyvision
Jellyvision is hiring a SVP Technology
Jellyvision’s headquarters is in Chicago, and, post-COVID, many of us will be returning to the Chicago offices (by choice, not requirement -- our philosophy is “Flexible First”). But this position is also eligible for work by a remote employee out of CA, FL, GA, IL, KY, MA, MI, MN, NY, NC, OH, OR, PA, TX, UT, WA, or WI.
What we do
We’re the proud parents of ALEX®, an interactive employee communications platform that makes choosing (and using) employee benefits easier and more enjoyable. Our credo is a simple one: be helpful. And we think the best way to achieve that is with a staff that reflects the vast range of ideas, perspectives, and experiences of the millions of people who use our products.
Who we are
Jellyvision is committed to fostering a more inclusive workplace where people across all dimensions of diversity and intersectionality, including, but not limited to race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, neuro-diversity, gender identity, gender expression, sex, or country of origin are welcomed, valued, and celebrated! We have an opportunity to increase representation at all levels and need your unique talents, background and perspectives. We look forward to your contributions to our team.
How you’ll help
The SVP of Technology is a member of the Senior Leadership Team who is responsible for our technology and ultimately the successful delivery of the software as a service we provide to clients. You’ll lead a technology team who is responsible for new product development, maintenance and defect correction, meeting our customer SLAs, new POCs, the reduction of tech debt, and ultimately a stable and efficient technology platform. There are currently about 6 teams sprinting with 5-8 people per team.
The SVP of Technology will work collaboratively with Product leadership to align on the product roadmap; Creative leadership to execute the best user experience; and Customer Operations leadership to ensure we’re delivering amazingly helpful customer experiences and efficient implementation approaches as well as addressing defects and customer satisfaction issues. You’ll be relentlessly focused on solidifying a strong technology foundation that can grow with us as the company doubles in revenue and users grows from 5 Million to 25 Million+ - all while we’re accelerating the pace at which we bring new features and capabilities to market.
So what kind of person are we looking for?
Increasing the pace of product innovation is key to our growth strategy. We’re looking for a technology leader who gets fired up by building new solutions and also understands the reality of maintaining a dated technology stack. This role requires a balance between paying down tech debt, strangling out old technologies, and introducing innovative, new functionality. It requires an inspiring leader who can recognize strengths in people and build, mentor, and motivate a great team of technology leaders.
- Front end: we’re mostly React with some leftover Angular here and there
- Backend: we’re largely Rails and Node.js, and migrating to Java & SpringBoot microservices
- Source Control: Git, GitLab
- Infrastructure: AWS
- Data: Snowflake, Heap, DBT, Python
What you’ll do
- Lead the engineering function for all of our new product development, maintenance, devops, and cloudops teams, including the teams that are responsible for incident resolution--currently a team of ~50 people with a budget of ~$15M.
- Lead a great group of technology leaders to function as a cohesive team, working in a coordinated fashion to achieve our technology and product strategy.
- Work closely with your peers in Jellyvision’s Senior Leadership Team, especially Product Management, to align on a product roadmap and an execution plan that meets business goals.
- Ensure we are balancing our capacity between maintenance work and new feature development in a way that aligns to business goals and supports our long term success.
- Drive our technology strategy and ensure it positions us well to fit into a complex healthcare and benefits technology ecosystem, including aligning to industry data exchange standards and integrating with HRIS & BenAdmin systems.
- Drive modern, cloud-native, serverless technologies.
- Deliver on our commitment for continuous delivery with lean development processes, and easy to use, secure, and reliable pipelines and tools.
- Assess build/buy/partner options including planning and executing integrations of our technology with any businesses we acquire.
- Help us continue to refine and support excellent career paths for people in the technology organization.
- Share knowledge, mentor, and educate Jellyvision’s engineers and other stakeholders regarding Jellyvision’s technological vision, opportunities, and challenges.
- Improve our documentation and knowledge management, and reduce the many silos of technical knowledge that persist.
- Improve and standardize our quality processes and automated testing, especially integration testing.
- Structure the organization in a way that protects the velocity of new product development while investing appropriately in maintenance and defect correction.
- Standardize our data models so we capture, manage, and utilize data in a way that becomes more valuable to our customers and opens up additional monetization options - including introducing true data science and machine learning where appropriate.
- Work with and guide technology leaders to conceptualize and promote an engaging and inclusive culture across the technology organization.
- Be the face of the technology organization to the market - both for recruiting top talent and to customers and partners. Build a great reputation for Jellyvision as a technology organization where engineers want to join, work, stay, and grow.
- This team is remote first; leading and motivating a distributed, remote team is an important part of this role.
Experience & skills you’ll need
- 10+ years of relevant experience, including leading engineering for a SaaS business.
- Experience working with a mix of software development teams from co-located, office-based full time employees, to geographically dispersed virtual teams, onshore and offshore, including contractors and consultants.
- Experience using the strangler pattern to successfully modernize a tech stack.
- Experience working with both monolith and microservices applications.
- Familiarity with relevant compliance and data privacy regulations: HIPAA, PHI, PII, SOC 2 Type II, California Privacy.
- Experience integrating with large third-party systems - especially valuable is experience integrating with HRIS systems like Workday and BenAdmin systems - Healthcare Tech industry experience is a plus.
- Be an outside-the-box thinker and be able to connect the dots to create market-valued, innovative solutions.
- Experience budget planning and roadmap planning so the executive team can evaluate options for how to achieve our goals.
- Experience with agile software development processes including Scrum, KanBan, SAFE.
- Experience with initiative-based development teams that include a combination of skills who can sprint and release a complete set of value to the market, even if that stretches across multiple components or code bases.
- Strategic Mindset
- Builds Effective Teams
- Attracts Top Talent
- Balances Stakeholders
- Tech Savvy
- Plans and Aligns
- Drives results
Thanks for your interest in Jellyvision!