About Pear Therapeutics:
Pear Therapeutics is the leader in prescription digital therapeutics. We aim to redefine medicine by discovering, developing, and delivering clinically validated software-based therapeutics to provide better outcomes for patients, smarter engagement and tracking tools for clinicians, and cost-effective solutions for payers. Pear has a pipeline of products and product candidates across therapeutic areas, including severe psychiatric and neurological conditions. Our first product, reSET®, treats Substance Use Disorder and was the first prescription digital therapeutic to receive marketing authorization from the FDA to treat disease. Pear’s second product, reSET-O®, for the treatment of Opioid Use Disorder, received marketing clearance from the FDA in December 2018. Pear’s third PDT, Somryst®, is the first FDA-authorized prescription digital therapeutic (PDT) for patients with chronic insomnia and the first product submitted through FDA’s traditional 510(k) pathway while simultaneously reviewed through FDA’s Software Precertification Pilot Program.
The Director, State Government Affairs will develop and execute comprehensive strategies, including, but not limited to, use of third-party organizations in order to shape state legislative and regulatory activity and strengthen local advocacy efforts. This position will represent Pear Therapeutics in matters of state and local legislation, regulations, or rules that have an impact on the company, and drive favorable resolutions to those matters. Director must anticipate state and local legislation and public policy trends and emerging issues in order to get ahead of potentially negative government action or to proactively shape the environment to make it more favorable to Pear’s interests is critical. The position will develop relationships with policymakers, regulators, patient advocates, physician advocates, business groups, public policy groups, associations, and other stakeholders and drive their engagement on key public policy issues. Rigorous compliance with all state lobbying rules is a critical component of this role. This role will cover states in the Midwest.
- Develop and executive comprehensive strategies to shape state legislative activity and deliver on business priorities. This includes direct lobbying, trade association management, and engagement of third-party groups and coalitions. Assess state and local political and public policy environment, determine where legislative and regulatory action is advisable and where it is not, and make recommendations on Pear action. Align cross-functionally and manage expectations of the business regarding the legislative and regulatory environment and the potential impact on Pear.
- Represent Pear in matters of state and local legislation, regulations, or rules that have an impact on the enterprise and state/local business operations and drive favorable resolutions to those matters. Proactively evaluate legislation, regulations, and rules, as well as the political environment. Assess both opportunities and threats to Pear’s interests and create comprehensive Government Affairs strategies to address them that include lobbying, third-party advocacy, policy development, and media engagement on leg/policy goals.
- Develop close working relationships with key internal business stakeholders – Market Access and Sales - within position’s assigned region to leverage state advocacy strategies. Engage with these key business stakeholders and develop keen understanding of commercial strategies in the region to ensure government affairs strategies support Pear’s commercial objectives.
- Lead and manage engagement with key state trade association task forces and coalitions, and drive trade association action on key issues of importance to Pear. Work closely with Federal Government Affairs and Advocacy to manage the intersection of state and national politics, policy, lawmakers, and associations.
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with state legislators and staff, state executive branch officials, regulators, and local government officials in order to anticipate action and execute GA strategies. Develop relationships with key third party advocates across the patient, business and health sectors and engage them in support of issues, policies, and legislative and regulatory action.
- Manage outside consultants and lobbyists within region, including setting objectives, defining missions and ensuring execution in support of state legislative strategies.
- Ensure rigorous compliance to all legally required registrations for the corporation, staff and outside counsel within the position’s region.
- Other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field such as health care administration, political science, public administration or policy required. Advance degree preferred.
- Eight to ten years’ experience in lobbying, public administration, political party activity, legislative staff work, or related experience. Experience in health care industry issues preferred. Requires advanced knowledge of state legislative rules and procedures, legislative processes, politics, and the complex and policy issues affecting Pear.
- Strong executive presence necessary. Ability to deal effectively with high-profile stakeholders such as elected officials, executives and a variety of external constituencies; including ability to influence and navigate political landscape.
- Ability to master complex state policy and legislative issues, think creatively, and develop innovative strategies and solutions; demonstrate a thorough knowledge of major state health programs, including Medicaid, ADAP, state finance and appropriations processes, etc.; deep knowledge of private health care marketplace mechanisms - insurance, drug benefit plans, key player strategies (i.e. PBMs, pharmacies, employers, consumers, etc.); and, understanding of complex public policy environments.
- Candidates must have existing relationships within states in the Midwest and experience managing multiple states.
- Ability to act independently and demonstrate sound business judgment within the scope of broad guidelines. Demonstrated ability to create and implement comprehensive GA strategies that include lobbying, association engagement, third party advocacy, digital/social/earned media, and other GA tools that result in successful engagement of external groups and influencers.
- Possess strong analytical, critical thinking and interpersonal skills, the ability to speak and write persuasively and with clarity, strong organizational skills, flexibility and adaptability to changing requirements, resourcefulness and creativity, strong attention to detail, a proven track record of being able to work under deadlines and an ability to work collaboratively in a fluid organizational environment.
- Works well in a team environment and enjoys a collegial, yet highly demanding culture while effectively collaborating with business leaders and other internal stakeholders
Equal Employment Opportunity
Pear Therapeutics is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion or religious creed, ancestry, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, genetic information, qualified physical or mental disability or handicap, medical condition, qualified military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Pear Therapeutics also follows all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfers, leave of absences, compensation and training.