Sr Technical Program Manager - Corp Infrastructure at Uber
With over 20,000 employees globally, Uber is bolstered by a network of tools and services to improve productivity, business operations, sustainability, and corporate infrastructure. The Information Technology team makes Uber a better place to work.
About the Role
The Uber IT Engineering team plays a critical role executing high-impact org-wide initiatives and continuously improving processes to increase the effectiveness of our products, operations and engineering organizations.
A Technical Program Manager (TPM) in this role will structure and drive large sophisticated cross-team technical initiatives across the company's infrastructure.
Specifically, the TPM will be responsible for the problem space, work closely with engineering/security leads to conceptualize solutions, organize/align multiple engineering teams for delivery and drive execution demonstrating achievements/critical metrics. She/he will look for ways to standardize, ensure execution is efficient and consistent, and set accountability by supervising progress, resolving dependencies, identifying issues, evaluating risks and communicating status to upper management and project partners. You will intrinsically act as a coach to engage and energize the engineering teams to achieve bold, time bound goals.
What You'll Do
TPMs move fluidly from the big picture to details so that the team can deliver sophisticated and strategic cross-functional projects, often with tight deadlines. You are a bridge and a connector for the company. You are intuitive, focused, driven, organized, insightful and productive. You break through communication issues and effectively develop relationships with partners at all levels of the organization; i.e. Director+ and all IC levels. You build trust across the organization. You are not afraid to be direct, but you strive to act with empathy and integrity. TPM work involves the following:
- Project lead sophisticated and large scale cross-team, cross-functional, global initiatives. Gather outstanding requirements and acquire sign-off.
- Partner with engineering managers and engineers to estimate work efforts, define achievements and manage resources.
- Track progress, resolve dependencies, evaluate risks and communicate status to upper management and project partners.
- Engage and energize the project teams to achieve aggressive goals.
- Proactively remove obstacles to drive momentum and progress. Identify communication gaps, manage issue partner concerns and provide support to teams balancing competing priorities. Get results proactively.
- Understand technical implementation at the architecture level and propose technical alternatives when vital. Ask questions that clarify priorities and push the team to be highly effective.
- Strong technical experience in Enterprise networking and security, Identity and Access Management, experience operating or supporting Core Infrastructure Services
- Implementation experience in Cloud Services, Enterprise Networks, Client Endpoint Management & Security, and Virtualization.
- Experience planning, structuring, and executing global rollouts of exciting technologies in a distributed matrixed organization.
- High technical aptitude and an ability to understand technical designs, challenges, and risks.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and emotional intelligence; ability to deliver status and metrics on impact
- Proven strong cross-team and cross-org partner management. Ability to influence, empower, and align people across a broad variety of job functions through your relationships. Engineers enjoy working closely with you.
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously, without losing sight of the highest priority items, while identifying the highest impact opportunities
- Strong technical, analytical and quantitative skills with the ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations and drive decisions.
- Ability to understand sophisticated concepts and make reasoned decisions objectively.
- Proven experience of 7+ years as a TPM or Engineering Manager, experience implementing Data Center, Cloud Services IT/Enterprise systems
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.