Works closely with the business and actuarial units, reviewing underwriting and loss data, underwriting guidelines and limit profiles. Leads the preparation of the external submission for the reinsurance market following department guidelines and protocols.
Ensures that key metrics are requested, received and vetted with Actuarial and other internal business partners to facilitate the evaluation of a proposed placement. Prepares PowerPoint decks to outline the proposed purchase and to seek management approval of the reinsurance purchase. Interacts with internal reinsurance legal counsel to ensure that reinsurance agreement wording is in line with agreed terms and conditions, and that all parties have agreed all terms prior to seeking binding approval.
Also acts as the placement liaison with claims and accounting on each new or renewed treaty to ensure correct application of the treaty terms, including treaty set-up and coding, premium payment and claims handling responsibilities.
Responsible for the timely completion of all governance activities related to the documentation of the reinsurance placement.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Under broad management direction, manages and works on assignments of the highest degree of technical complexity.
2. Responsible for the internal planning and strategizing with CNA's business units for packaging and negotiating complex treaty placement and pricing with reinsurers and brokers.
3. Manages the finalization of reinsurance contracts with external and internal business partners within regulatory time frames.
4. Participates in the development of new reinsurance programs.
5. Provides guidance, training and assistance to more junior level associates, accounting support staff and staff of other functional areas.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Director or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. Requires high degree of technical expertise, sophistication, and independent judgment to manage external relationships with reinsurers and brokers and internal relationships with the individual business units.
2. Strong insurance, reinsurance and actuarial knowledge as they apply to contract development and determining an equitable program structure for purchasing reinsurance.
3. Strong interpersonal and communication skills for interacting with all levels of CNA's internal and external business partners, as well as the ability to self-manage.
4. Solid analytical, financial and actuarial acumen.
5. Ability to deal with ambiguous situations and issues.
6. Creativity in solving unique and challenging problems. Innovative and inquisitive.
7. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite as well as other business-related software.
8. Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
Education & Experience
1. BA or BS with ARE, CPCU designation or equivalent training.
2. Typically a minimum of five to eight years insurance industry experience.