SOX Program Manager at Upwork
Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We help connect companies large and small with top independent talent from around the world. Simply put, our mission is to create economic opportunities so people have better lives.
Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled independent professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere.
Given our tremendous growth over the past year, we are expanding our team and are looking for a Manager SOX Compliance to continue to help transform the organization to the next level and become a best-in-class finance organization.
The ideal SOX Manager candidate possess fin-tech experience, with a focus on end-to-end SOX Compliance programs. We are looking for a highly motivated teammate, who can work cross-functionally. Responsibilities include managing a distributed workforce and leveraging internal/external partnerships for seamless SOX compliance and audit programs.
This role will require a deep understanding and experience with all aspects of internal controls including financial information technology systems for a complex, high-growth stage organization. The SOX Manager will be responsible for process flow mapping, design and documentation of controls, controls testing, evaluation of control deficiencies and remediation plans.Your Responsibilities:
- Assist in planning and execution of all phases of SOX Compliance and Internal Audit program, including Risk assessment & Scoping, documentation of Process walkthroughs, identifying controls, testing and reporting results.
- Manage and perform SOX testing, including Information Technology General Controls (ITGCs), Segregation of duties, analyze attestations and audit reports such as 3rd party SSAE reports reviews.
- Assess new processes, or changes to existing processes to identify financial and operational risks before launch, providing recommendations for improvement and advocate for continuous improvement in our system of internal controls.
- Coordinating and working with cross-functional compliance teams within the organization, process owners, outsourcing partners, external auditors to facilitate execution of SOX and Internal Audit procedures.
- Prepare reports and presentations for management, executive management and Audit Committee on SOX updates.
- Assist with special projects (i.e. process improvements, operational excellence, system implementations, control design
- Big 4 and CPA experience
- Demonstrated relevant experience in a SOX 404 and/or internal audit role
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP, COSO, PCAOB Auditing Standards, Sarbanes-Oxley, risk and controls standards and business process best practices
- Managed a distributed workforce (e.g., outsourcing or captive team)
- Have Strong Project Management skills and the ability to produce timely deliverables and manage multiple and shifting priorities in a dynamic environment
- Strong command of written, verbal and presentation and research skills
- Ability to work with all levels of employees and cross-functional groups, results-driven with a high level of integrity
- Scale and process-oriented with high attention to detail, accuracy, and follow-through
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also support hiring of corporate full-time employees in 15 states in the United States. Please speak with a member of our recruitment team to determine whether you are located in a state in which we are hiring corporate full-time employees.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.#LI-BH1#LI-remote