Senior Manager, Government and Regulatory Affairs, Africa (Contractor) at OneWeb Satellites (Remote)
With OneWeb, You’ll Get To:
- Be part of the technology revolution in Space
- Accelerate your career through fast paced experiential learning and executive-level exposure
- Work with razor-sharp colleagues in a company where people come first
- Bring transformative broadband connectivity to remote places for the first time
- Drive the use of innovative technologies and ways of working to achieve business results
Who You Are:
You are an experienced regulatory professional, ideally with a background in satellite communications to effectively engage with regulators across Sub Sahara Africa Region. You are well versed in ITU Radio regulation and regional and national market access and licensing requirements. You are relentless in your pursuit of successful outcomes and are excited to work in a fast-paced environment. You want to make a real difference in the world by revolutionizing technology in Space.
What You’ll Do:
- Responsible for driving Sub Sahara Africa activities in the domain of regulatory, government relations, and policy advocacy; leading efforts to monitor, update and amend telecom and spectrum regulations and processes to fit OneWeb’s goals.
- Directly engage with national and regional regulatory authorities and actively monitor activities and websites regarding potential legislation, consultations, and policy directives within African sub-regions and ATU as whole.
- Identify and develop proposals to ensure OneWeb’s long-term policy interests are protected
- Responsible for advocating OneWeb’s vision across Sub Sahara Africa Region,
- Supports company efforts with trade associations and other multi-party organizations to advocate for policy changes and new rules or regulations with regulators.
- Keeps the company’s leadership team informed of regulatory developments and provides relevant strategic guidance
- Focus on Sub Sahara Africa co-operation opportunities and bring them to OW Management Team attention
What It Takes:
- Bachelor’s degree (particularly law, engineering, economics, politics or international relations) as well as expertise in the legal, regulatory and spectrum fields – particularly Telecom and Satellite sectors
- Extensive related work experience in government and/or private sector for a satellite technology or telecommunication company, or legal/consulting firm, along with relevant experience working with standards setting bodies.
- Experience dealing with ATU and ITU rules and process for driving necessary regulatory changes or ensuring compliance.
- Experience with the region regulatory environment, particularly in the satellite and spectrum licensing areas.
- Has a good understanding of Radio Spectrum and issues relating to competition for access
- Demonstrable experience on lobbying on technological issues with the relevant authorities
- Experience working with foreign government officials and regulators
- Excellent presentation skills: demonstrated persuasive argument and advocacy skills, balancing these with the art of negotiation, compromise, and sound judgement
- Must have an excellent understanding of the intersection of business and government and
experience navigating complex issues in areas such as market access and licensing,
satellite regulations, and spectrum management, as well as working with foreign government
officials and regulators
- Fluent in speaking, reading, and writing in English and French
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with strong attention to detail
What We’d Love:
- A self-starter who is comfortable being the main person for multiple projects (countries) simultaneously
- A team player who is comfortable working with a diverse group of other Teams in the company (such as the Market Access, Licensing, Spectrum, and Commercial Teams) to deliver complex products (satellite services) to our customers
- Someone who is excited and curious about how satellite-delivered internet can change the world
Where You’ll Be: based remotely somewhere in Sub Saharan Africa
As OneWeb is a global company, your location is flexible. Our main offices are in Washington, DC and London; with a smaller office in Cocoa Beach, Florida. However, even before the pandemic, much of our Team’s work was done via calls, email, and videoconferencing. As travel comes back to work life, you should expect to be travelling to visit regulators and attend conferences in region 25% of your time.
OneWeb is a global leader in connectivity from Space. We are building a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites with a network of global gateway stations and a range of user terminals to provide an affordable, fast, high-bandwidth and low-latency broadband communications services, connected to the IoT future and a pathway to 5G. Find out more at http://www.oneweb.world