Senior Director, Market Engagement at Capital One (Washington DC)
Senior Director, Market Engagement
External Affairs works with many external and internal stakeholders to envision and create a world of greater socioeconomic opportunity through advocating for an inclusive society, building thriving communities, and creating financial tools that enrich lives. Our teams include Communications, Community Impact and Investment, Community Finance, CRA Strategy and Program Management, the Government and Political Affairs Group, Regulatory Relations, and Strategy and Engagement. Through our teams, we have unparalleled access to a diverse group of motivated changemakers similarly focused on the ingredients for a more perfect future.
Our approach involves focusing on innovation and opportunity related to long term well being for our associates, customers, and communities. On the intersection between business and social impact. On disruption and dreaming of a better way. This is the language of changing things for the better. Of Capital One.
The Community Impact and Investment team creates impactful community outcomes and positions Capital One as the most strategically bold, innovative, and mission driven financial institution through:
- fueling strategic community investments (e.g. grants, skills, loans)
- delivering insights, advice and resources that inform Capital One's products and services
- activating the capabilities of "impact forward" associates
The Community Impact and Investment team supports Capital One through leading enterprise volunteerism, conducting market research, fostering community relationships, grant making, originating CDFI loans and partnering with and advising LOBs.
The Opportunity and Role:
Community Impact and Investment is kicking off a multiyear transformation to increasingly align business strategy and social impact; launch new, different, and more holistic approaches to investing in our communities; use Capital One's volunteer time and talent in increasingly strategic ways; and use data, analytics, research, and inclusive design to inform more targeted and actionable consulting to our business partners on topics related to a broad view of financial inclusion.
We're seeking a talented and energetic Senior Director to lead our Market Engagement team. This tower is charged with deeply understanding challenges and opportunities in the communities in which Capital One operates and bringing that market intelligence to bear to ensure we are investing in the right programs and with the right partners to advance socioeconomic mobility in the community while maximizing impact for Capital One's reputation and business agenda. This team is a team of relationship-first changemakers who build strong external relationships and distill insights, make connections and identify and execute on opportunities for COF to make investments at the nexus of community impact and COF's business strategy.
This role involves up to 50% travel as needed. It also involves attending events before and after normal business hours and overnight trips / conferences.
In this role, you'll be expected to demonstrate proficiency in four key areas:
Gathering Market Intelligence
- You'll understand how Capital One shows up in our local communities relative to how we are supporting local community needs and moving the needle on socioeconomic mobility.
- You and your team will gather this intelligence by forging deep relationships with local community organizations and organizers, activists, influencers, small business leaders, policymakers, CDFIS and other local funding organizations or in-market financial services providers across the nationwide a portfolio of local markets
- You'll make your seat at the table: either by developing relationships with the right community influencers or conveners or, if the right groups aren't coming together yet, you and your team will convene them yourself.
- Your team will monitor and assess (in partnership with GPAG and Comms teams) emerging local events and engage the appropriate internal stakeholders and working groups accordingly
Transforming Market Intelligence Into Tangible Impact
- Your team will bring market insights to CII and EA to inform where, how and why to make local market investments that advance Capital One's mission
- You'll partner closely with your peers leading our analytics, associate and program teams to generate proposals for local market investments
- You'll manage the relationships with the existing portfolio of community partners and their associated grants. You'll evaluate, rationalize and align this back-book against a go-forward investment strategy.
- You'll partner with our Market President Network executives and EC members to collaborate and advise on MPN philanthropic investments, bringing local market intelligence to decision making
Running the team with a Business Mindset
- You'll develop quantitative metrics, tooling, and reporting to monitor COF community presence, local sentiment, and the extent to which we are mobilizing COF resources (time, talent, dollars) to the place of most compelling community need
- You'll define a holistic operational strategy with supporting KPIs which includes:
- How to prioritize and operationalize collection of market intelligence in key geographies and markets while monitoring the full national footprint
- How to capture, assess and improve sentiment of COF community engagement in key markets, and
- How to evolve our current (and go-forward) portfolio of investments to increasingly meet the highest needs of our communities while advancing the COF business objectives
- You'll regularly evaluate and improve the efficiency of our community engagement approach, as well as the operational model used to deliver the value
- You'll be responsible for attracting and retaining top talent to your team
- You'll coach them towards great business acumen, building strong stakeholder relationships, bringing a data-driven eye to evaluating need and opportunity and excelling in ambiguity
- You'll model ruthless prioritization and the art of getting to yes...and saying no
- You'll rally your teams and senior stakeholders to your vision and strategy
We want you if you are:
- Impact-driven. You dream big. You desire to make the world a better place, and you get energy from working with others with similar passions to accomplish big, bold goals.
- Wired for Collaboration and Connection: You thrive in a matrixed organization because you know that together we can do better. You're obsessed with building and cultivating relationships. You love the chance to share your perspective, to hear the perspectives of others, and to figure out how teams can collaborate.
- Customer Focused. You care about doing what's best (not what's easiest) for the community and for Capital one's associates and business. You don't shy away from hard conversations or nuanced decision making because you know the best outcomes often go hand in hand with tough decisions.
- Intellectually Curious, with a strong Point of View. You ask why, you explore, you're comfortable with ambiguity, you're hungry to learn and a seeker of new challenges. You use this curiosity to develop and then refine, and refine, and refine your POVs.
- Do-er . You're biased toward action, you try things and sometimes you fail. You can get around your own roadblocks and you remove obstacles for your team to stay focused on enterprise goals.
- Bachelor's degree or military experience
- At least 5 years of experience working in a for-profit company
- At least 5 years of experience in developing product go to market, community organizing or advocacy strategies or a combination
- At least 7 years of experience in people leadership
- 8+ years of experience working in for-profit company
- Experience in market analysis
- Experience with complex stakeholder management
- Experience in financial services, wholesale banking, or B2B settings
- Experience in sales or other domains deeply dependent on the quality of relationship management
- Community organizing, nonprofit, or political experience
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
The minimum and maximum full-time annual salaries for this role are listed below, by location. Please note that this salary information is solely for candidates hired to perform work within one of these locations, and refers to the amount Capital One is willing to pay at the time of this posting. Salaries for part-time roles will be prorated based upon the agreed upon number of hours to be regularly worked.
New York City (Hybrid On-Site): $221,600 - $252,900 for Sr. Director, Community Impact and Investment
Candidates hired to work in other locations will be subject to the pay range associated with that location, and the actual annualized salary amount offered to any candidate at the time of hire will be reflected solely in the candidate's offer letter.
This role is also eligible to earn performance based incentive compensation, which may include cash bonus(es) and/or long term incentives (LTI). Incentives could be discretionary or non discretionary depending on the plan.
Capital One offers a comprehensive, competitive, and inclusive set of health, financial and other benefits that support your total well-being. Learn more at the Capital One Careers website . Eligibility varies based on full or part-time status, exempt or non-exempt status, and management level.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at [email protected] . All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to [email protected]
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).