Who We Are
Babylist is the leading vertical marketplace and commerce destination for baby, driving purchase decisions for more than 8 million people each year. Utilizing robust proprietary data, patented technology, and unbiased editorial guidance, Babylist recommends expert-tested products to those starting their parenting journey so loved ones can offer their support. Babylist registries connect new parents and their community of family and friends who help plan, prepare, and shop for a child's arrival. Babylist is the generational brand in baby, leading the $67 billion baby products market as the trusted go-to solution for growing families. To learn about Babylist’s registry options, editorial content, and more, visit www.babylist.com.
Our Ways of Working
We’re a remote-first company with team members located across the United States spanning multiple time zones. This means we put in extra effort to make sure we connect and collaborate in ways that make sense for us. We know how valuable the flexibility of remote work is for our employees so people can get the work done in the way that works for them and their teams. After all, many parents call Babylist their professional home, and sometimes, life puts you in a position where you just have to jump off that Zoom meeting to clean up that banana that’s getting stomped on by your 2 year old.
We know that personal connection is the foundation for the great work we do together. In order to quickly build those relationships, we offer the opportunity to meet with coworkers in person two times a year at a full company offsite and a departmental offsite. These are great opportunities to meet the people you work with every day and to do some of the work that is much more difficult to do virtually. Most of our roles are fully remote, but these opportunities to meet in person will involve limited amounts of travel. For some leaders, there might be more opportunities to get together in person that would require about 10% travel to Oakland, CA or elsewhere.
What the Role Is
Babylist is seeking a dynamic and strategic Senior Director, Inventory Management to scale our E-commerce inventory management team as we continue our rapid growth and evolve our business into its next phase.
This person will be a key business partner to Merchandising, Supply Chain and Operations, Finance, as well strategic brand partners in driving sales while maximizing inventory return on investment and profitability. The leader will develop, communicate and roll out financial plans and strategies that support the merchandising and financial objectives of the company, including sales, margin, and inventory. Key responsibilities include the development and dissemination of processes, tools and systems that enable effective inventory performance in both drop ship and owned inventory fulfillment channels.
The right candidate will have a track record of scaling for growth, maintaining strong cross functional partnerships as well as developing and retaining people. A positive leader who is comfortable driving change, enjoys a fast-paced environment, is passionate about products and customers is an ideal candidate.
The role reports into the Chief Merchandising Officer.
Who You Are
- You are deeply experienced with retail or ecommerce planning and allocation capacity, preferably with both wholesale and vertical integrating, and at least 5 years’ experience managing and leading a team
- You have a deep understanding of Inventory Management principles and systems in any Retail, eCommerce, and Wholesale environments
- You understand multi-node distribution, inbound transportation from wholesale vendors and manufacturing partners is key.
- You have the ability to operate and thrive both strategically and tactically in an ever-changing and sometime ambiguous environment
- You have eep experience in managing Open to Buy or S&OP process and meetings
Your Core Competencies Might Include:
- Business Insight- You have excellent business judgment, with the ability to dive in and quickly understand the root cause and identify scalable solutions.
- Analytical Mindset- You possess superior analytical skills that enable meaningful interpretation of data resulting in significant wins.
- Critical Thinking: You have experience navigating complex issues using data analysis and in-depth evaluation of multiple factors
How You'll Make an Impact
Strategy and Financial Planning
- Define, set, and execute to financial targets and KPIs (revenue, profitability, inventory turns)
- Develop, communicate and lead execution of comprehensive inventory strategies and processes in alignment with merchandising and supply chain partners around key inventory targets, and financial goals.
- Responsible for sales, gross margin, in stock, and inventory turn goals
- Proactively identify opportunities and risks within division, departments and classifications and recommend actions within week, month, quarter and year to maximize business results
- Oversee development of LRP strategy and financials for division/multiple departments
- Responsible for the strategic development and oversight of detailed seasonal financial plans that meet or exceed company financial objectives for sales, margin, inventory, and bottom line profitability
- Establish and communicate financial guardrails with Merchant partners
- Oversee in-season processes to maximize financial outcomes, including the Open to Buy (OTB) process, incorporating current trends and future expectations to maximize opportunities and mitigate risks. Presents forecast and action plans to E-commerce team, cross-functional leaders.
- Actively participate in seasonal business reviews and hindsight strategy meetings.
- Communicate sales, margin, receipt, markdown and inventory information and concerns at weekly business meetings
- Partner with Operations to drive cost savings initiatives through freight and logistics optimizations
- Develop strategies in coordination with the SVP of Supply Chain on the in season execution of inventory flow and management across our expanding fulfillment network as well as long term scaling initiatives
- Develop strategies in partnership with Merchandising leadership to develop future product and inventory strategies that support long term company objectives
Future Planning and Improvement
- Work with key interfaces to evolve and execute the planning “vision” through implementing systems, improving processes, and training/coaching the planning team
- Lead planning team through the implementation of ERP and demand planning tools and adoption into day to day planning process and seasonal strategies
- Recommend system, tool, and process improvement to drive efficiency
- Strategize new business processes to drive financial goals and strategies
- Develop and nurture strong cross functional partnerships; driving business results and inspiring a culture of transparency, collaboration, and accountability.
People Management and Talent Development
- Hire, mentor, develop, motivate, and up-level planning talent that will lead and deliver performance excellence while supporting a diverse environment
- Provide performance-based and developmental feedback and perform annual evaluations
- Create staffing plans and evolve planning team structure to support scaling business growth
- Cultivate a collaborative, innovative and results-orientated environment for division and cross-functional teams
Why You Will Love Working At Babylist
- We are a remote first company and invest in infrastructure you’ll need to be supported and successful: tools, opportunities to connect with colleagues, and a stipend to help you set up your office
- We build products that have a positive impact on millions of people’s lives
- We work at a sustainable pace which means work/life balance is a real thing here
- We believe technology and data can solve hard problems
- We believe in exceptional management
- We are committed to providing an actively antiracist organization and doing the work to support differences of all kinds
- We offer competitive pay and meaningful opportunities for career advancement
- We have great benefits like company paid medical, dental, and vision, a generous paid parental leave policy, and 401k with company match
- We care about employee wellbeing with perks for physical, mental and emotional health, parenting, childcare, and financial planning
If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying. Experience comes in many forms – skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.