We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 73 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
This role is for the Sanctions Associate within the AML function in the Enterprise Compliance team, reporting to the Global Sanctions Manager. In this role, you will be responsible for developing the governance documentation for sanctions QA/QC and reporting, including QA/QC procedures for screening list updates, oversight and reporting processes (of teams outside of AML Compliance). You will also own the process for escalating sanctions risks to the appropriate channels and stakeholders, including development and maintenance of a tracker. You will serve as the central point for escalation of issues related to sanctions, including sanctions controls.
You will be required to build strong working relationships cross-functionally, particularly with the Coverage team, and work with the Sanctions Senior Manager to set departmental priorities and resource planning and allocation to align with business objectives and annual plans for sanctions control-related needs.
To be successful in this role, you will need to have a proven track record of managing sanctions controls within a financial institution, have an enthusiastic and positive attitude, and possess a strong knowledge of sanctions controls best practices within a crypto environment.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Develop and enhance the governance documentation around sanctions QA/QC and reporting, including QA/QC procedures for screening list updates, oversight and reporting processes (of teams outside of AML Compliance);
- Own the process for escalating sanctions risks to the appropriate channels and stakeholders, including development and maintenance of a tracker;
- Ensure sanctions controls, procedures, and processes are kept up to date and appropriate for the Global AML Program model;
- Stay abreast of relevant regulatory changes or new regulatory requirements relevant to sanctions compliance to ensure timely implementation as needed;
- Engage in cross-functional collaboration with all relevant Compliance and Business teams on emerging sanctions regulations;
- Oversee development, implementation, and maintenance of team standard sanctions-related operating procedures ensuring global consistency where possible;
- Serve as an enterprise-wide advisor for sanctions related risks to the organization, educating the business and helping various first line divisions to design and/or remediate any control weaknesses or lapses in deriving information required by sanctions control processes; and
- Serve as an escalation point for complex sanctions issues within and outside the Compliance team.
- Support development of strategically aligned Objectives & Key Results (OKRs) that are related to sanctions controls and escalations.
- Foster a culture of compliance, emphasizing the criticality of employees taking ownership for avoiding sanctions compliance lapses and speaking up when suspicious activity is observed;
- Enact and advocate the Coinbase Values and Culture; and
- Encourage team participation in the semi-annual Employee Engagement surveys.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- 5-7 years of prior experience managing a sanctions program and/or major sanctions control components for a financial institution, preferably with digital assets and/or fintech experience;
- Detailed knowledge of sanctions risks and regulations, including within crypto environment;
- Prior experience/knowledge of cryptocurrency, including recent regulatory developments;
- Strong leadership, relationship management skills, and project management experience;
- BA/BS or equivalent degree required; graduate/vocational training preferred;
- Exceptional analytical skills;
- Strong communication skills and presence: ability to interface with regulators and executive teams;
- Work in a cross functional and matrixed environment; and
- Ability to travel regionally, at times internationally.
Nice to haves:
- Experience working in a fast-paced global organization;
- Entrepreneurial attitude and experience with, or the ability to adapt to, a rapidly growing organization with associated complexities and ambiguities;
- Effective project management skills with the ability to oversee multiple projects at any one time;
- Ability to work across functions and time zones;
- Knowledge of key global regulatory agents and regimes;
- Experience in assessing governance related risks and controls or auditing information systems and controls;
- Experience either working inside a global financial regulatory agency or managing global regulatory compliance programs and examinations for a regulated financial institution; and
- Management experience in a matrixed environment and technology/fintech organization
Notice for Colorado applicants as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20). Target annual salary for this role performed in Colorado, is $96,475 + target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k)).
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.