Relationship Lead, Payments Partnerships and Industry Relations at Square (Remote)
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
As the Head of Industry Relations and Operations (IRO), Relationship Lead, you will help adapt and evolve our relationships with global payment networks to reflect Square's increasing role in a complex and imbalanced industry. From commercial relationships and agreements to program management, working alongside product, operations, engineering and global country teams, your role will be to support Square's Industry Relations and Operations agenda and help Square grow and adapt in the dynamic landscape of the industry in which we operate. You will report to the Head of IRO.
- Build and manage strategic relationships with payment industry partners, including global payment networks
- Define and execute on a comprehensive global payments strategy for Square in the rapidly evolving mobile payments space
- Strengthen the influence and market position of Square's business and brand while fostering and growing joint marketing and promotion opportunities with critical industry stakeholders
- Work with payment industry partners and suppliers toward scoping and implementing new features and strengthening commercial, strategic, and processing infrastructure
- Expand our partner and product footprint globally, accelerating the distribution of both new and existing Square offerings
- Understand Square's competitive position and implement programs to further payments products, services and strategic objectives
- Lead and support management for Square's strategic industry initiatives, including the partner engagements required to enable new products and platforms
- Maximize current partnerships through detailed and proactive account management, working with partners to define, iterate and enable new initiatives and products
- Research and analyze industry trends, payment network rules and opportunities for Square to further distinguish its positioning and payments products
- 7+ years of experience, understanding of the payment industry and its current evolution both domestically and abroad. Prior experience at a global payments network strongly preferred
- A demonstrated record of success and strong acumen in commercial negotiations with the ability to communicate across multiple levels of stakeholders internally and externally
- An ability to lead cross-functional projects and interact at all levels with diverse roles including engineers, business partners and executive leadership
- Deep analytical skills that enable analysis of nascent industry movements
- Clear written and verbal communication and presentation skills, with the ability to make strong arguments supporting Square's position with internal and external executive stakeholders
- Understanding of the PSP business model, acquiring payments network rules preferred
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.