Proposal Manager at Benchling
Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling’s applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanity’s most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world’s most renowned research institutes.
This Proposal Manager will be part of the Solutions Consulting Operations team, and is responsible for managing Benchling’s responses to RFPs and RFIs, and preparing well written, accurate and cohesive proposals in response to the client’s needs, highlighting Benchling’s experience and advantages and benefits over the competition. The proposal manager will collaborate with members of Sales, Solutions Consulting, Professional Services and Product teams, and other subject matter experts to ensure content is complete, accurate, and timely. The Proposal Manager will also be responsible for managing Benchling’s RFP response tools and the knowledge base, and will play a critical role in optimizing RFPs and deal processes. Exceptional writing, editing, organization and time management skills are a must.
WHAT YOU WILL WORK ON
- Create winning proposals for Benchling solutions (SaaS and implementation services) that address prospects’ requirements while highlighting Benchling’s experience and advantages over the competition
- Manage overall RFI/RFP activities, from initial receipt to final submission to the prospect, and ensure on-time submission. Precisely manage project workflow through the RFP process (draft, review, approval).
- Coordinate contributions from various Benchling team members (Sales, Solution Consulting, Professional Services, Product, Strategy, Quality, Security and other SMEs, as needed) to develop high quality responses that put Benchling in the best position to win; review different teams’ contribution and ensure completeness and accuracy, clarity and conciseness, consistent flow and tone; blend differences in writing styles for continuity and correctness; ensure response format is according to RFP requirements.
- Participate in team alignment calls and strategy discussions to clarify scope of work, gain insights into the business opportunity, understand key messages/differentiators and develop win themes
- Own the RFP management software; maintain and update the knowledge base and curate new content supporting RFP needs; train new team members on using RFP management software
- Proactively manage a workload that includes responsibility for multiple proposal assignments and other tasks, as required, in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Support a global commercial organization, with flexibility to work across time zones and geographies as needed
- Participate in deal strategy process
- Bachelor’s degree in (but not limited to) Business Administration, Communications, English, Marketing, Life Sciences, or other related field, or equivalent work experience as a proposal manager
- 3+ years’ experience managing complex proposals in a fast-paced, B2B environment – life sciences and/or SaaS technology strongly preferred
- Excellent communicator (written and oral), able to translate complicated ideas into language easily understood by others
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills
- Strict attention to detail and accuracy; expert formatting, editing and proofreading skills
- Superior project and time management skills, able to effectively coordinate various levels of SMEs effectively to deliver complicated responses on-time – able to work successfully under time sensitive deadlines and in stressful environments
- Able to multi-task and effectively prioritize among multiple competing projects
- Self-motivated and self-managed, with an ownership mentality
- Team player, able to work both collaboratively and independently
- Displays a positive attitude and sense of urgency
- Strong work ethic, and flexibility to work across time zones and geographies, as needed
- Strong proficiency in Google Suite, Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Quip
- A drive to succeed and eagerness to learn and grow professionally
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving for future challenges. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- 401k, Medical, dental, and vision insurance (US Employees Only)
- Monthly health & wellness stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Yearly educational stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Flexible & Generous Vacation Policy: If you feel you need a break, you can talk directly with your manager to find coverage and support while you are out of the office. Need time off to vote? We've got you covered.
- Quarterly company-wide mental health days off
- Holiday Shut-down: company-wide holiday shut-down between Christmas Eve and New Years
- Major US and EMEA holidays observed
- To support remote work conditions during the COVID-19 pandemic, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000(USD) upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.