Who We Are
Addepar’s mission is to bring data, technology and people together to help investors make more informed and timely investment decisions. Our wealth management platform is transforming the fintech industry by providing data aggregation, analytics and reporting for even the most complex investment portfolios. Here, your voice matters. We believe that portfolio, market and client insights can make a significant and sustainable impact, one person and one community at a time. Working at the intersection of groundbreaking technology and limitless financial services industry growth, we are optimizing how capital is put to work.
We are currently seeking a Private Placements Director to join our Marketplace Team!
Addepar has the potential to make investing in private assets more transparent, more efficient, and more ethical. Addepar’s newest business, Marketplace, provides a set of tools that help our clients make better investment decisions, as well as an order management and execution platform for access to a wide range of investment products, including cash management, hedge funds, private equity, as well as co-invests and secondary transactions in private securities and LP interests. This is an exciting new initiative for Addepar with high growth potential that is still in the early stages of development, and there is a unique opportunity for a key individual to join a new, highly visible team at the ground level.
Read more about our launch of Marketplace in May of 2020 here:
- Introducing Marketplace
- Thiel-Backed Firm Helps Ultra-Wealthy Trade Hedge Fund Holdings
- Addepar Rolls Out Digital Alternatives Marketplace
The Marketplace team is a vertically integrated group that includes a cross-section of product, marketing, sales, data, design, operations, compliance and engineering - giving members a unique perspective that demonstrates how their work directly links to the broader business. In many ways, our group operates much like a startup within a growth company, providing its members with the stability and business relations of the larger Addepar organization, while allowing the group to operate in a tightly integrated and demanding context, as we continue to build out our new line of business and product offerings.
Our team is looking for a proven team player who thrives in fast-paced environments, embraces ambiguity, and enjoys the challenge of building a new venture within an existing high growth company. As a Private Placements Director, Diligence Lead you will partner directly with the Head of Private Placements and the broader Marketplace team to build our placements business as part of our overall offering, focused on distributing private securities (alternative fund strategies, direct private company and LP secondary, and equity co-invests) that we originate from our proprietary and external networks; This role will be focused on leading our efforts to source, diligence and execute Marketplace’s special opportunities primarily across venture funds, co-invests, and other alternative fund strategies, including but not limited to private equity, private credit, real estate and impact-oriented strategies. The role will also be responsible for articulating a point of view on why these opportunities are compelling, through research and thought pieces.
The ideal candidate is detail- and results-oriented, relationship-driven, comfortable working hands-on, and ambitious . Most of all, we want someone passionate about building an efficient and high-functioning financial technology platform.
What You’ll Do
- Drive our funds placement business with Marketplace clients and other institutional investors to meet and exceed concrete targets
- Source, diligence and execute various private equity and venture strategies on the Marketplace platform for our growing group of clients, including leading diligence and evaluation of fund and equity co-investment transactions, articulating a detailed view on each opportunity, building financial projections, and identifying merits/risks/mitigants of each investment including review of prospective financial sponsor's strategy, track record, and firm/team dynamics with a focus on realized and unrealized investment performance
- Develop new and foster existing relationships within the GP/financial sponsor community, including our own client base, and among our core centers of influence
- Develop and articulate POV on investment themes across various asset classes to help drive overall marketplace focus
- Partner with Placements team and Client Specialists to distribute new fund opportunities across Marketplace
- Partner with Product, Marketing, Marketplace client specialists, and other Addepar client coverage teams to showcase aforementioned opportunities and drive demand. Support creation of collateral as necessary, including deal sheets, sales memos, client outreach emails, and internal support documents (as well as maintaining accurate records)
- Support client specialist and account management teams as “subject matter expert” where needed, and develop deep relationships with Addepar Marketplace client base to drive engagement.
- Work with Compliance and Operations to process and monitor transactions, ensuring client and financial partner satisfaction at the level expected from Addepar Clients and stakeholders.
- Document operational knowledge, issues, processes, and best practices
Who You Are:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- 5+ years of applicable experience in alternative fund diligence, manager selection, alternative fund management, and/or private capital markets
- Established relationships in the GP/financial sponsor ecosystem
- Experience with sourcing, diligencing, structuring and executing complex alternative fund placements.
- Ability to prepare and present investment memos and financial modeling to internal investment committee for approval
- Strong alternative asset product knowledge with a deep understanding of industry dynamics as it relates to investment strategies and structures
- Comfort with reviewing fund and co-investment legal documentation
- Understanding of the private placements/secondary transactions process, including regulatory and compliance requirements
- Crisp attention to detail and strong organizational skills, with the ability to embrace ambiguity and excel in a start-up environment
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- FINRA Series 7, 63 preferred but not required at time of hire
- Entrepreneurial mindset with the ability to operate effectively in a fast-paced growth company. Ability to initiate and drive projects to completion with minimal guidance
- Excellent listening skills and the ability to ask probing questions, understand concerns, and overcome objections
- Genuine passion for supporting team members and clients
Addepar was founded in 2009 by Palantir co-founder Joe Lonsdale, who currently serves as an active Chairman of its Board of Directors and General Partner at 8VC. Addepar works with hundreds of leading financial advisors, family offices and large financial institutions that manage data for over $3 trillion of assets on the company's platform. Addepar was named a Forbes Fintech 50 company and honored as a member of the CB Insights Fintech 250. Addepar is headquartered in Silicon Valley and has offices in New York City, Salt Lake City and Edinburgh, Scotland.
At Addepar, we are driven by our core values:
- Take Action - We believe in empowering each other to make decisions that elevate our colleagues and our communities.
- Build Together - We celebrate success by recognizing the value of collaborating with each other, our clients and partners.
- Best Ideas Win - We welcome new ideas that inspire change.
- Demand Transparency - We encourage open discussion and information-sharing to strengthen communication across organizations.
- Solve Problems that Matter - We put our community of clients and partners first by creating technology that meets their needs today
In addition to our core values, Addepar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We seek to bring together diverse ideas, experiences, skill sets, perspectives, backgrounds and identities to drive innovative solutions. We commit to promoting a welcoming environment where inclusion and belonging are held as a shared responsibility.
To ensure the health and safety of all Addepeeps and our prospective candidates, we have instituted a virtual interview and onboarding experience.