Principal, Emergency Management and Planning at Gemini (New York City, NY)
Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice — our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
Select roles that are location-specific will still be eligible for flexible schedules.
The Department: Real Estate and Security Operations
In the emerging industry of digital assets, there is nothing more important than trust (which is why Gemini’s very first hires were Security experts). The Gemini Security team forms the backbone of all that we do and is as diverse as the number of challenges we tackle in the crypto space. From security architecture and engineering to maintenance of cold storage systems and data centers to cybersecurity, enterprise risk security, and litigation support, our team ensures that our customers, clients, and employees are safe, secure, and supported.
The Role: Principal, Security Operations
As a Principal of Security Operations you'll be the subject matter expert (SME) on strategically planning and navigating the Crisis Resilience Lifecycle and act as the primary advisor to the Head, Real Estate and Security Operations. This position will hold responsibility as the center of excellence for Gemini’s emergency preparation, mitigation, response, and recovery. This role will develop, implement, and maintain a robust Emergency Management and Planning program to be utilized across the entire enterprise.
This role will be based in our NYC office once it is safe to return to the workplace.
- Develop and manage the company’s policies, plans and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) as they relate to the Crisis Resiliency lifecycle, including global emergencies, crisis response, and business continuity.
- Create an EMP strategy that supports the crisis resilience of all business lines, offices, and assets at Gemini.
- Planning, training, and development of emergency & crisis management team and preparedness for Gemini’s business leaders.
- Implementation and management of mass messaging, accountability platforms and inter-departmental coordination of crisis communications protocols, which includes the creation of the travel safety and security program, and intelligence/threat assessments.
- Facilitate the implementation of emergency management programs, plans, and procedures across the enterprise for all employees, while collaborating with functional leaders in various departments to drive success of these programs.
- Act as the senior emergency management planner and the primary representative of the Global Security Operations division (GSR) in crisis situations occurring globally.
- Be the primary author and editor of the Emergency Management Plan, EMPT planning documentation, Crisis & Emergency Management Playbooks, Business Continuity Templates, and training documentation.
- Advise Gemini’s leadership and management teams on all matters related to the Emergency Management Plans, Crisis Management Teams and the development of these teams.
- Ensure Regional leadership are knowledgeable on their responsibilities, resources, and procedures to act decisively before, during, and after a crisis.
- Define parameters of the duty-of-care and responsibilities of Gemini during a crisis.
- Oversee and participate in the development and presentation of organization-wide training, policy and awareness programs regarding emergency and crisis management procedures and incident reporting.
- Coordinate and support cross-functional efforts with Public Affairs, Legal, People, Information Security and other emergency oriented roles.
- Conduct routine Emergency Management Plan, Playbook, and Business Continuity maintenance.
- Identify, resource, implement, and manage emergency management, mass messaging and accountability tools, and the associated vendors.
- Oversee improvement of Emergency Signage in Gemini locations.
- Establish and execute the global plan for the deployment of AEDs and First Aid Trauma kits to all Gemini locations.
- Coordinate and maintain a collaborative relationship with Real Estate and Facilities for the management of programs and documentation relating to Emergency Action Plans, CPR/AED training and certification.
- Act as primary stakeholder in developing and implementing the travel security program for all personnel, including K&R and medical evacuations for senior leadership.
- Support all Gemini functions globally before, during, and after crises as needed
- Create emergency management plans and procedures for bespoke or major events.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 10 years experience with solid career progression, including at least 4 years in one or more Corporate, Consulting (experience in a professional services organization a plus), or Government role.
- Ability to adhere to strict privacy/confidentiality guidelines and policies.
- Demonstrate and/or have high level corporate/government contacts and experience leading other experienced professionals.
- Proven leadership and teaching ability, as well as experience as a public speaker, in order to train employees.
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate technical proficiency in applications such as Google Suite and the Microsoft Suite.
- Emergency management experience at the national or state levels.
- Experience developing, writing and maintaining standard operating procedures, standards and policies.
- Extensive organizational skills and strategic communications capability .
- Preferred experience working with and analyzing intelligence products.
- Preferred ability to learn and use new software platforms.
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive Compensation and Profit-Sharing Equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Retirement Plan Matching
- Generous Parental leave
- Comprehensive health plans
- Training and professional development
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.