Power BI Support Engineer at 3Cloud
Power BI Support Engineer
3Cloud is a technology consulting and managed services firm helping clients transform their businesses and manage their operations through the power of the cloud. We leverage Microsoft Azure to help our clients speed up innovation, operate more efficiently, and be more responsive to their customers’ needs. As a Microsoft partner, we specialize in managed services, migration, cloud-scale custom application development, analytics, and DevOps – all on the Azure platform. 3Cloud is headquartered in Chicago with an additional office in Dallas. Remote based in US only.
The Power BI Support Engineer is a member of 3Cloud’s managed services team. He or she is responsible for ongoing support, escalations, proactive maintenance and ongoing development for our both our client’s and 3Cloud’s own Azure Power BI platform through the Managed Services teams processes, procedures and tools. As a Power BI Support Engineer, you will be a critical part of our core team that is an essential to the success of our Managed Services division.
Power BI’s basic functionality is rooted in having good quality data. 3Cloud is looking for managed services engineers who specialize in Power BI with a focus on data. You must have advanced knowledge of Power BI and its data components including Power Query/M, DAX, and dimensional modeling, with knowledge and experience in basic report design. Having a working knowledge of conventional SQL Server (data warehouse design, SSIS and SSRS) and DirectQuery is helpful. You will also need to understand Power BI License models and be able to work with customers to help them achieve the most optimal licensing model for their business needs. You must have strong communication skills that allow them to regularly deal with clients and their staff, as well as with specialists from related fields, including database developers, and software engineers. Internally, you will interface with the IT and Finance teams to implement, refine and maintain internal reporting models. Your outstanding analytical and problem-solving skills and good grasp of both the technical and business side of business intelligence, and your ability to always keep up to date with the latest updates for Power BI will make you a good candidate for this role.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Support of client’s Power BI platform, including response to any escalations and help analyze and resolve incidents for customers environment.
- Support of 3Cloud’s Power BI platform, including collaborating with IT and Finance to define, implement and support internal reporting.
- Understand and work with customer on Power BI Licensing, and understand the limits/advantages of each licensing platform
- Create well performing star schema data models for use with Power BI, including proper calculated columns and measures
- Creating Power BI solutions for customers including importing data from multiple sources, building reports and dashboards, and creating appropriate data elements using DAX and source queries
- Guide customers on deploying Power BI solutions to the Power BI service (Gateways, DirectQuery, DataFlows, Data Updates)
- Communicate ticket status information to all team members and escalate cases to appropriate staff as necessary to ensure case are closed in a timely fashion.
- Interact with clients to identify Power BI issues, troubleshoot expediently, and follow up on issues via e-mail, ticketing system, and phone calls. Communicate technical issues and solutions with clients in business terms.
- Configure, administer, tune and develop client’s Power BI environment to improve client’s environment.
- Create and maintain updated documentation for each client’s environment.
- Promote best practices to enhance and improve organizational processes.
- Participate in weekly discussions with clients to review outstanding issues and changes and discuss proposals for improving the client’s environments.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or related field.
- Experience working in a support role and understanding standard support processes (i.e. ITIL)
- 1 – 3 years working with data and business intelligence solutions on the Microsoft tool stack for Business Intelligence (SSRS, Power BI, or PowerPivot (Excel) or PerformancePoint), or other vendor Business Intelligence tools (Business Objects, MicroStrategy, Qlik, SAP)
- Working knowledge of TSQL, data modeling, reporting using Power BI or other Microsoft tools
- Experience creating complete Power BI report solutions based on business questions with linked content, drilldowns, and nested parameters
- Dynamic measure designs using advanced DAX techniques
- Knowledge of data mashups and transformations using Power Query/M language
- Ability to report visual choices and visual interactions
- Design, develop and implement user interfaces to ensure ease of use and minimal knowledge by the functional work group that will be using the database
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- A passion for problem solving and learning new technologies.
- Client relationship skills and experience managing vendors.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Strong desire for personal development and learning.
Additional Preferred Experience:
- Power BI tenant and workspace management to support development, testing and deployment
- Experience deploying Power BI solutions to the Power BI Report Server (on-premises)
- Experience deploying Power BI solutions using Power BI Embedded