Policy Principal – East (Washington DC)
Policy Principal – East
Advanced Energy United (formerly known as Advanced Energy Economy, Inc.) educates, engages, and advocates for policies that allow our member companies to compete to repower our economy with 100% clean energy. We work with leaders of the Federal and state governments as well as regulators of energy markets to achieve this goal. The businesses we represent are lowering consumer costs, creating millions of new jobs, and providing the full range of clean, efficient, and reliable energy and transportation solutions. Today, these businesses have a combined market capitalization in excess of $3 trillion.
We are united in our mission to accelerate the transition to 100% clean energy in the United States.
Advanced Energy United (“United”) seeks a highly energetic, smart, innovative Principal with a background in issue advocacy and/or coalition building at the state level to join our policy and campaign team in the East. The Principal will work with United team members to develop and implement multi-year strategies and campaigns designed to achieve policy successes at the state level that will accelerate the energy transition while expanding markets for the advanced energy industry. The Principal will craft and execute creative policy campaigns to enact pro-advanced energy legislation and regulation in states, including policies that will advance state-level and regional transmission solutions needed to achieve 100% clean energy; implement the Inflation Reduction Act and Bipartisan Infrastructure Law at the state level; defend existing advanced energy policies; and educate key decision makers. The Principal will serve as United’s main policy lead in Pennsylvania and Maryland, and will drive our work in those states. Candidates will need to have the ability to travel to meet with Advanced Energy United members, coalition allies and stakeholders, and public officials.
Key Skills for Success
Have A Mind for Policy: Market opportunities for the advanced energy industry are driven by policy. The ideal candidate will have a working knowledge of legislative and regulatory processes. Experience in energy policy is a bonus but not completely necessary.
Be Small “p” Political: Recognizing opportunity, understanding power dynamics and building coalitions to seize policy opportunities is a key to success for creating a policy environment that allows advanced energy to thrive. The ideal candidate doesn’t need to have a background in politics but does need to know how it works and be excited about engaging in the politics of the policy-making process.
Project Management Skills & a Drive to Get Things Done: Ideal candidate must have the ability to keep work and agenda organized, and the drive and sense of urgency to advance policies while simultaneously navigate relationships with partners in multiple areas (legislative, regulatory, etc.)
- Serve as point person for Advanced Energy United’s work in Pennsylvania and Maryland, in coordination with United policy team members, to develop and implement strategies to accelerate achievement of 100% clean energy and meet short- and long-term policy objectives. These could be legislative, administrative, or regulatory, or a mix of all three.
- Work with Advanced Energy United member companies to develop policy positions and reach consensus on policy positions in key states and on key issues.
- Manage lobbyist relationships on the ground and their engagement in legislative strategy and execution.
- Organize member engagement opportunities through direct decision-maker engagement (lobby days,candidate education, etc) earned media and other participation in legislative, rulemaking, and administrative processes, as needed.
- Work with in-state lobbyists to identify key opinion leaders and decision-makers with whom to engage, and then develop and maintain excellent working relationships with those coalition partners, allies, and key legislative and administrative staff. Engage in coordination and advocacy efforts with coalition allies in support of clean energy goals.
- Create reports, presentations, fact sheets, and other written and visual materials needed for education and advocacy efforts, draft comments, and deliver verbal presentations as necessary.
- Work with our communications team to identify opportunities for Advanced Energy United to seek earned media coverage. Draft press statements, write blog posts, participate in webinars, engage with reporters, and create opportunities to showcase advanced energy.
- Travel on an as needed basis (up to 30%) within Pennsylvania and Maryland and occasionally elsewhere,for advocacy days, meetings with key allies and stakeholders, communications outreach, and other efforts on behalf of Advanced Energy United.
- Bachelor’s degree, in Economics, Political Science, Public Policy, or Communications preferred or applicable comparable experience; Master’s Degree in a relevant area is a plus
- Minimum of three years of professional experience in legislative policy development or organizing in the energy sector
- Interest in energy and transportation issues and an understanding of the importance of policy advocacy to advance an organizational agenda
- Entrepreneurial approach, flexible attitude, and ability to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in professional settings leading team efforts toward an agreed upon goal, and being ‘bottom line’ responsible for quality finished products
- Excellent interpersonal relationship-building and communications skills, both written and verbal
- Intellectual curiosity, inquisitive nature, and excellent listening and problem-solving skills
- Performance-oriented individual with a strong work ethic, demonstrated initiative and commitment to achieving goals
- Must be willing to travel
Special Application Instructions
To be considered for this position, please submit a cover letter expressing why this position and organization interest you, as well as a current resume.
Job type: Full-time, remote
Location: Eastern state location, Pennsylvania or Maryland strongly preferred
Start Date: Feb 1, 2023
Salary: Starting at $75,000
Advanced Energy United is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, sex, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. We are committed to the values of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice across our organization (“DEIJ”). We also incorporate these values into our mission of making the energy we use secure, clean, and affordable. We know that varied perspectives and a commitment to social justice are needed to succeed in making the United States an advanced energy economy. We commit to building and supporting an inclusive workforce that represents different cultures, backgrounds, and viewpoints.