Join VillageMD as a Quality Specialist - Pharmacy Technician (Remote)
Join the frontlines of today's healthcare transformation
At VillageMD, we are committed to helping patients achieve greater health by delivering the most effective, accessible and efficient healthcare in the world through partnership with primary care physicians. We're in a unique position to impact everyone in primary care from independent, family-owned practices to world-class health systems.
Could this be you?
As an integral member of the VillageMD Quality team, we are looking for Quality Specialists with pharmacy services experience, who will perform outbound patient calls regarding our clinical programs, medication adherence, and closing gaps in care for value-based contracted patients with clinical quality needs. The role will partner closely with our population health operations team, and our pharmacy team to effectively deliver wrap around care for our patients. The ideal candidate will have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment while using excellent communication skills to serve our patient populations. He/she must be proactive with strong personal initiative, as well as highly organized and detail oriented. The Quality Specialist will be a crucial member of the Quality Team who will assist with achieving success in measurable clinical quality performance.
How you can make a difference
- Call patients to ensure they refill their chronic disease medications on time for diabetes, blood pressure, and cholesterol
- Contribute to increasing overall quality ratings for clinic by ensuring patients refill and take their medication on time and as directed
- Serve as liaison between patient, clinic, and pharmacy to minimize time missed between refills.
- Interpret patient medical history (medication list, office visit notes, etc.) and understand and properly communicate provider’s plan to patient
- Navigate between different Electronic Medical Record (EMR) platforms to review patient medical information
- Accurately and comprehensively document patient care activities in all applicable electronic records
- Perform appropriate medication reconciliation by comparing how your patient is taking medication versus what is written in medical record and/or filled at the pharmacy
- Request medication refills per clinic policy and protocol
- Adequately assist patients with difficulties accessing medication due to cost or other barriers
- Identify patients who need referrals to clinical pharmacist, retail pharmacy med sync program, retail pharmacy medication pack program, care management, clinician, and/or Village at Home
- Timely follow up and persistent outreach to patients, providers, and pharmacies to ensure medications are picked up and taken as directed
- Connect with patients before and after their primary care visit, if necessary, to help coordinate the completion of their quality health maintenance
- Coordinate with pharmacy staff, primary care office staff and/or providers to ensure appropriate referrals, orders, and tests are in place for the patient
- Schedule appointments and testing and/or order screenings per standardized protocols
- Maintain current knowledge of quality measure requirements
- Identify opportunities for continuous process improvement
- Actively participate as a member of the health care team to promote positive health outcomes for our patients and support our healthcare partners
Skills for success
- A high level of personal accountability and ability to work independently
- Superior relationship and interpersonal skills with the ability to craft meaningful relationships
- Strong communication skills
- A service orientation and a “can do” attitude
- Bias for action with a solution-oriented approach
- A low ego and humility; an ability to gain trust through good communication and doing what you say you will do
- An ability to focus on outcomes and team performance utilizing a high level of collaboration and sense of team-based work product and results
- Ability to listen actively and empathically to patients who may be struggling with medication adherence
- A high level of integrity and respect for patients while assisting them with their medications
- Ability to apply behavior modification techniques and motivational interviewing skills to properly identify and help resolve barriers to medication nonadherence.
- Ability to de-escalate and properly respond to patient concerns
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and follow-through
- Ability to work efficiently with multiple providers, clinic locations, and insurance plans.
- Ability to navigate within ambiguity and be solution-oriented
Experience to drive change
- High school diploma or GED equivalent required
- Medical Assistant Certification or Certified Pharmacy Technician required
- Prior experience using an Electronic Medical Record preferred
- Experience with Medicare Advantage plans, health plans, medication adherence preferred
- Strong communication and relationships skills required; demonstrated success partnering with patients, physicians and care teams to support patient wellness
- Comfort with technology including the Microsoft suite of products
At VillageMD, we see diversity and inclusion as a source of strength in transforming healthcare. We believe building trust and innovation are best achieved through diverse perspectives. To us, acceptance and respect are rooted in an understanding that people do not experience things in the same way, including our healthcare system. Individuals seeking employment at VillageMD are considered without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.