Ready to challenge yourself to dive deep and think big? Ookla, the company behind Speedtest, Downdetector and many other connectivity tools, is a team of passionate individuals who have turned clever ideas into unique products and a thriving business. Ookla has acquired RootMetrics, bringing together two industry leaders that deliver outstanding network connectivity insights to the world. Together we will combine the industry-standard first-party crowdsourced data from Speedtest with the RootMetrics’ scientifically controlled drive and walk testing data collection for the benefit of the mobile operators who build the networks and the consumers who rely on them. This continues to give us the ability to help make the internet better, faster and more accessible for everyone.
Our Field Operations team is seeking a driver/data collector, responsible for performing an automated test strategy. This role requires traveling to cities throughout the U.S. to conduct extensive drive and indoor/outdoor walking tests in order to measure the quality of service provided by cellular carriers. To be successful in this role you must be a strong communicator that is self-directed and possess a collaborative can-do attitude.
If you have a U.S. driver's license, a good driving record, an independent and hard-working spirit and are willing to travel domestically, then we'd love to hear from you.
Expectations for Success
- Following GPS-provided driving directions, drives 8-12 hours a day for up to 21 consecutive days with possible extension
- Maintain inventory and maintenance of assigned equipment
- Accurate recording of daily tasks, activities and anomalies
- Booking of transportation and lodging as it is related to individual assignments
- Configures mobile phones and prepares mobile phone kits for data collection
- Performs other duties as required
- At least a High School diploma
- Minimum of 7 years of safe automotive driving experience in the U.S.
- Well versed in the use of smartphones and mobile phone technology, specifically Android OS
- Must be 25 or older (for rental car purposes) with a valid U.S. driver's license
- Must pass background check and drug screen
- Good communications skills, both verbal and written
- Familiarity with Gmail, Google docs & Slack
- Good driving record for past 7 years; Department of Motor Vehicles report will be required
- Dependable, trustworthy, organized and efficient
- High principles for quality, accuracy and attention to detail
- Maintains professional conduct at all times while representing the company, whether internally, with vendors, or to the general public
- Ability to carry cell phone equipment and walk for up to 10 hours per day
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to travel domestically for up to 21 days at a time (with possible extension) by plane and vehicle
- Ability to travel on short notice
People come first at Ookla. This is an hourly position and will be eligible for accrued paid time off. Other benefits include 401(k) matching, sick time, ESPP options, health/dental insurance coverage and a stand-out parental leave. We make sure you have the best hardware, software and tools available for you to do your work. Visit our Built In Seattle page for even more information on what it’s like to work here at Ookla.
We have a preference for this person to be remotely located in Chicago, we are also open to having this person be remote in Minneapolis, D.C St. Louis or other locations in the US.