Market Medical Director, Louisiana at Cityblock Health
Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs-bringing better care to where it's needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that "health is local" and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet's Sidewalk Labs along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are, bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams and Virtual Care offerings.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we'll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To close gaps in care and advance equity in the communities we serve, we have to start with making our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bringing together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels supported and included as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About our Team:
We employ a field-based, home-based care model and are committed to meeting members where they are--in their homes, in their community, and in our Hubs. You will go above and beyond to connect with people in a non-judgmental, respectful and empathic manner, to meet their needs, and to provide feedback to the system as a whole as we strive to do better every day.
About the Role:
- Y ou will work in a radically different model of healthcare, leveraging expanded care teams, in-person and virtual care models, as well as a proprietary homegrown IT platform for collaborative patient assessment and management
- Expect collaboration, shared-decision making, and partnership across clinical and non-clinical care team members, includi ng our large team of Community Health Partners
As Medical Director, you will:
- Provide clinical mentorship, oversight, and supervision for Advanced Practice Clinicians, Psychiatrists, and Physicians who support our members in the community and in our Cityblock community-based clinic
- You will lead and structure team case conferences
- Play a lead role in monitoring, evaluation, and quality improvement activities, including review of member and care team quality of care concerns
- Drive program development and integration of clinical innovations, including community medicine, care transitions, palliative care, and others for populations with SMI/SUD comorbidities
- Participate in the development and delivery of educational content around complex care delivery, palliative care, chronic disease management, and integration of primary and behavioral health needs for populations with SMI/SUD comorbidities
- Interface with the larger Cityblock organization in collaborating on, amongst other domains, quality, safety, clinical and operational strategy and initiatives.
- You will participate in at least 4 hours/week of strategic, clinical committees meetings and work to support Cityblock's programs across our markets
- Assist in training and mentoring new employees as needed
- You will own the operations of your community-health clinic, partnering with the Operations team on scheduling, EMR/Commons Platform integrations, and overall operations and member experience
- You will be expected to review and respond to data on your Cityblock member population. You should have a good understanding of how the team escalates member needs to the provider team, understand the performance of the clinicians, utilization patterns of members, and review transitions of care.
- As a full-time employee, spend 20% (or approximately 8 hours) of your time on Direct Patient Care (visits) in order to comply with weekly appointment goals. This can be adjusted based on member needs.
- Co-manage a panel of complex SMI/SUD members in a value-based care environment to provide diagnosis, treatment, counseling, medication management, acute triage and follow up care
- Foster lasting and trusting relationships with members and their family members, to assist members in achieving their goals, identifying new needs, and coordinating care
- Your work will be centered in both our physical hub and in the field - extending out in the surrounding neighborhood and community
- Interface with partner PCPs, specialists, hospitals, and community based organizations to promote an understanding of Cityblock's model, facilitate collaboration, and promote effective patient co-management
- Foster lasting and trusting relationships with members and their family members, to assist members in achieving their goals, identifying new needs, and coordinating care.
- Work daily within our custom-built care facilitation platform, Commons
- Attend internal & external meetings and maintain professional credentialing and CME standards
- You will work full-time each week. You will also participate in a Saturday Rotation and the Cityblock on-call schedule. Your work may take you outside of normal business hours as urgent member needs arise.
Requirements for the Role:
- You are an independent self-starter, a leader, and a strategic thinker who is excited about the big picture of whole community health, and the ongoing evaluation and iteration of our care model
- You are an MD or DO, Board Certified in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, or Medicine-Pediatrics, or Psychiatrist with an unrestricted license to practice in the state of Louisiana
- You are an experienced clinical leader, with at least two or more years leading practices
- You have experience building teams, supervising clinical team members, and have held administrative roles in clinical organizations or other innovative care models
- You have experience providing clinical services to individuals with co-occurring chronic medical and behavioral health conditions, specifically for patients with SMI/SUD
- Experience working collaboratively with an interdisciplinary care team, and specifically working alongside community health workers or care coordination staff
- Have interest in serving complex, vulnerable, and disabled populations
- Proven skills, knowledge base, and judgment necessary for independent clinical decision-making.
- You are excited to use technology to support your work and help drive the ongoing evaluation toward new and better care
- Are comfortable reviewing and responding critically to data
- Have proficient experience using and navigating an EMR
How We Define Success:
- At thirty days, you will have a foundational understanding of the Cityblock models of care as well as the core leadership responsibilities
- At sixty days, you will have begun clinical care and supervision of your team
- At ninety days, you will have established yourself in your leadership roles, inclusive of managing your team, working within your local and institutional leadership structures, and understanding and responding to the data and metrics to drive market performance
- By six months, you are comfortable and largely facile in all current functions of your role within your Cityblock practice
- By one year, as local leadership, you are actively collaborating on the strategies needed for further advancement, strengthening and evolution of the Cityblock models of care on local and/or regional level
Nice to Have, But Not Required:
- Home-visiting clinical experience preferred
- You have experience with quality improvement, monitoring and evaluation, health systems strengthening, innovation and training
- You have additional work experience as a geriatrician or behavioral health specialist in a low-income community or in a community health setting
- DEA-approved to provide buprenorphine treatment for substance use disorder
What We'd Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter, please!
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.