Manager, Internal Communications at Carvana
Manager, Internal Communications
Since day one, Carvana’s core values have guided its decisions while pioneering online car buying. Through a constant focus on the customer and innovation, Carvana operates with shared beliefs like, “We’re all in this together” and “Your next customer may be your mom,” setting the new automotive retail standard for how customers should be treated: with care, honesty and respect. We are looking for people who are excited to thrive in an environment of impactful change. The Carvana culture special and camaraderie is strong, and everyday we let our passion and creativity foster innovation. As industry leaders, we take big swings, set ambitious goals, and inspire each other to make values-based and data-driven decisions in everything we do. The proof is the results, so check out a few of our stories. And have you seen one of our Car Vending Machines? We’ve been changing the game since 2013, and we’re not taking our foot off the gas now. `
About the team and position
Our ability to evolve with a continued focus on Carvana’s mission has fueled our growth and success. It all started by imagining a new way to buy a car that was better for our customers in every important way. The excitement of that dream enabled us to attract incredible people who made our dream their own. From there, it has just been ambition, hard work, perseverance and constant learning. And with a critical mass of enthusiastic customer-focused, ambitious people, we built a self-reinforcing culture. Those simple ideas have taken us a long way as we’re now the fastest-growing automotive retailer in U.S. history.
As our team grows, it is critical that everyone remain informed and connected. As a leader on the Communications team, you’ll partner with key stakeholders to develop a strategy to keep team members engaged, empowered and motivated. Partnering cross-functionally within People Operations, Brand Marketing, Market Operations among others, you’ll work to connect people in creative ways that only Carvana can. You'll need to be an empathetic leader, experienced communicator, a brand ambassador, and possess the expertise and initiative to drive employee engagement and external brand awareness.
What you’ll be doing
- Bring Carvana culture and values to life through creative ideas and meaningful engagements that inspire employees against the Carvana mission.
- In partnership with cross-functional leaders, develop an annual internal communication plan that engages the collective Carvana team across all areas of the business.
- Evaluate existing internal communication channels for more effective and consistent touch points across Carvana Country.
- Work to understand Marketing and PR priorities to execute an effective internal communications strategy using the most impactful content.
- Become a subject matter expert on our mission, our brand voice, our customers and our industry.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key internal stakeholders, including People Operations, Brand Activations, Brand Marketing, Tech Operations, Market Operations among others.
- Establish and deepen connections across business units to ensure our priorities are understood and clearly communicated.
- Write weekly internal communications that summarize updates on our people, brand, communities, growth, culture and more. Establish a content calendar as an extension of the marketing and external communications editorial calendars.
- Other duties as assigned
What you should have
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications or related field required
- 5-7 years of experience in a public relations and/or communications role, leading major pieces of business in an agency and/or brand setting
- 5+ years of direct experience in employee engagement
- Exceptional track record of working effectively within cross-functional teams and advocating for a more informed workforce
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience managing internal communications planning with measurable results
- Experience in developing new content and employee experiences to reinforce a theme or message
- Possess the energy and drive to accomplish goals, meet deadlines, and find solutions
- Must be highly organized, detail oriented and execute on a number of projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment, acting with urgency and accuracy
- Ability to communicate with internal stakeholders at all levels of the organization
- Adherence to and knowledge of AP Style
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Self-starter that can also work autonomously with enthusiasm, no job is too big or too small
- Proactively brings creative ideas and inspiration from industry best practices, pop-culture influences and beyond
- Impeccable writing skills, demonstrating the ability to clearly communicate information to multiple audiences
- Player-coach mentality, enjoys mapping out the strategy as well as executing
- Proficiency with MS Office, media contact databases and G Suite (Google Sheets, Docs, etc.)
- Experience with a technology company a plus
What does our growth have to do with you?
Only everything. Are you not sure you meet 100% of the qualifications? Give it a shot! Research shows that men will apply to a job when only meeting 60% of the requirements, whereas women and members of other systematically marginalized groups typically only apply when they meet every single requirement. At Carvana, we're builders. We build tools, business, and our people. We value diversity in backgrounds and thought, so take a shot and apply! Please highlight some of your accomplishments in your resume and cover letter so we can talk about how you can grow with us.
What we’ll offer in return
At Carvana we love to work with great people, and that means giving you plenty to get excited about that. Salary and benefits are table stakes, but a huge part of what keeps us all here is the opportunity to see the rocket ship from the inside. In addition to considering all of these benefits, we hope you’ll give us a chance to show you what we’re working on. We think you’ll be intrigued.
- Full-Time Salary Position with a competitive salary.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits.
- 401K with company match.
- A multitude of perks including student loan payments, discounts on vehicles, benefits for your pets, and much more.
- A great wellness program to keep you healthy and happy both physically and mentally.
- Access to opportunities to expand your skillset and share your knowledge with others across the organization.
- A company culture of promotions from within, with a start-up atmosphere allowing for varied and rapid career development.
- A seat in one of the fastest-growing companies in the country.
To be able to do your job at Carvana, there are some basic requirements we want to share with you.
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand English.
Of course, we’ll make any reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their jobs.
- Hiring is contingent on passing a complete background check.
- Carvana is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
- This role is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.