Manager, Infrastructure Security at GitLab
This Manager, Infrastructure Security position is 100% remote.
It’s an exciting time to join our team. We're the world’s largest all-remote company, and we've been intentionally building our culture this way from the start. With more than 1,200 team members in 65+ countries, GitLab is a place where you can contribute from almost anywhere. We are an ambitious, productive team that embraces a set of shared values in everything we do.
As a Manager in our Infrastructrue Security team, you'll lead the team who own security initiatives related to security of GitLab.com. They are Infrastructure's stable counterparts in the Security department, and as such work with various Infrastructure and Security teams to identify and mitigate security issues, vulnerabilities, and misconfigurations by applying their in-depth knowledge of operating systems, infrastructure, and cloud providers. They work very closely with the Security Incident Response Team and share their findings in a proactive manner.
The culture here at GitLab is something we’re incredibly proud of. Some of the benefits you’ll be entitled to vary by the region or country you’re in. However, all GitLab team members are fully remote and receive a "no ask, must tell" paid-time-off policy, where we don’t count the number of days you take off annually -- instead, we focus on your results. You can work the hours you choose, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. You can also expect stock options and a competitive salary. Our compensation calculator will be shared with selected candidates before any interview.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DIB) are fundamental to the success of GitLab. We want to infuse DIB in every way possible and in all that we do. We strive to create a transparent environment where all team members around the world feel that their voices are heard and welcomed. We also aim to be a place where people can show up as their full selves each day and contribute their best. With more than 100,000 organizations using GitLab, our goal is to have a team that is representative of our users.What you'll do in this role:
- Hire a world class team of security engineers to work on their team
- Help their team grow their skills and experience
- Provide input on security architecture, issues, and features
- Hold regular 1:1's with all members of their team
- Create a sense of psychological safety on their team
- Be your team's role model in terms of positive thinking, de-escalating conflict, and taking time off Identify the need to, and drive the implementation of security-related technical and process improvements
- Author project plans for security initiatives
- Draft and successfully deliver on quarterly OKRs
- Train team members to screen candidates and conduct engineering interviews
- Build a substantial, collaborative partnership with Legal, Infrastructure, Development and Product departments
- Assume the role of an Incident Manager during larger security events
- A proven track record as an experienced member of Security Operations, Cloud Security, DevSecOps, or Incident Response teams - either as an Individual Contributor or as a Manager
- Experience with leading Security or security-focused Site Reliability teams
- Experience with working at a SaaS or product company
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, especially experience with executive-level communications
- Capability to make concrete progress in the face of ambiguity and imperfect knowledge
- Being comfortable with often not being in control of their time (because security events don't care about anyone's plans)
- Being comfortable with very frequent context switching
- Willingness to be part of the Security Manager On-Call rotation
- Robust understanding of security issues, mitigations, and a solid grasp of the current global threat landscape
- Experience with the role of an incident manager during medium and large scale security events
- First hand experience with major cloud providers - GCP, AWS, Azure, Digital Ocean
- Alignment with Manager responsibilities as outlined in Leadership at GitLab
Also, we know it’s tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don’t have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.
Our hiring process for this Manager, Infrastructure Security position typically follows five stages. The details of this process and our leveling structure can be found on our job family page.
Country Hiring Guidelines
Please visit our Country Hiring Guidelines page to see where we can hire.