Join VillageMD as a Manager, Clinical Documentation and Coding Accuracy
Join the frontlines of today's healthcare transformation
VillageMD is changing the trajectory of healthcare. We’re empowering primary care physicians to make informed decisions, and engaging patients in meaningful ways. We work with thousands of clinicians and healthcare disruptors across the country, improving patient health while driving down the cost to deliver it.
We are a mission-oriented organization, and we are thrilled about the work that we accomplish every day. We’re transparent. Collaborative. Relentless in pursuit of our mission. With a confidence to lead but the humility to never stop learning. We believe that diverse backgrounds and experiences create the best opportunity for innovation. And we know that the community we are growing is greater than any one individual.
As an integral member of the VillageMD Team, the Manager of Clinical Documentation & Coding Accuracy is accountable for developing and implementing clinical documentation support and diagnostic coding best practices across a quickly growing, primary care practice network. As a member of our team, you will ensure accuracy and appropriateness of documentation to support coding initiatives across all patient populations, including but not limited to Medicare Advantage and Medicare FFS populations. Included in the scope of this role is process improvement, provider education initiatives, report review, and achieving overall documentation and HCC coding accuracy goals.
What are some unique responsibilities that you’ll have at VillageMD?
- Managing team and individual performance including development and deployment of performance improvement plans, coaching, and mentoring
- Recognize and develop coding best practices to share across the organization
- Create and document internal standards to improve coding performance across all primary care provider sites
- Effectively communicate and implement new coding education and initiatives with providers including the appropriate change management support to ensure successful adoption
- Conduct individual training and group education sessions on proper coding and documentation practices for physicians and staff consistent with industry standards and in compliance with coding guidelines
What will make you successful here?
- A high level of personal accountability and ability to work independently
- Bias for action with a solution-oriented approach
- The ability to be flexible in an ambiguous and dynamic environment
- Strong communication skills
- Superior relationship and interpersonal skills with the ability to craft meaningful relationships across diverse stakeholder groups
- Proven leadership competency including the ability to motivate and develop teams and achieve results
- Experience in conflict management and problem resolution
- A low ego and humility; an ability to gain trust through good communication and doing what you say you will do
What you might do in your first year:
- Manage a clinical documentation and coding accuracy support team, including daily operations and corporate policies to ensure effectiveness
- Support Clinical Documentation and Coding Accuracy leadership in the oversight of all coding operations processes, identification of opportunities to improve the coding operations performance, as well as the coding accuracy of providers
- Manage the post encounter review process and conduct post-encounter review sessions with providers
- Review charts and reports to identify undiagnosed chronic disease and query provider to code to highest accuracy and specificity
- Develop education materials for providers to improve coding knowledge and compliance
- Ensure compliance with established coding guidelines, third party reimbursement policies, regulations and accreditation guidelines
The following experience is relevant to us:
- Bachelor’s degree in Health Information Management, Nursing or comparable field preferred
- Professional Coding Certification such as CRC, CCS, CPC required
- Previous management or team leadership experience preferred
- A minimum of 5 - 8 years of experience in advanced professional coding as well as coding training and/or education
- Experience in a large, independent clinic organization or the ambulatory environment of a hospital or integrated delivery system (Primary Care Practice highly preferred)
- Knowledge and familiarity with Electronic Health Records documentation methodologies and workflow to support coding operations and provider documentation process
- Demonstrated achievement with change management and quality improvement initiatives
- Proven success in building relationships and establishing credibility with doctors, nurses and other clinical staff
- Exceptional communication skills
- High level of emotional intelligence
- Ability to navigate resistance to change and solve problems effectively
At VillageMD, we see diversity and inclusion as a source of strength in transforming healthcare. We believe building trust and innovation are best achieved through diverse perspectives. To us, acceptance and respect are rooted in an understanding that people do not experience things in the same way, including our healthcare system. Individuals seeking employment at VillageMD are considered without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.