Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice — our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
Select roles that are location-specific will still be eligible for flexible schedules.
The Department: Compliance
The Compliance and Legal department at Gemini is making history every day, as we creatively apply the legacy of law to the future of digital assets. We are a diverse group of technology, legal, and operational professionals dedicated to managing the next generation of financial crime prevention in a complex and evolving regulatory environment. At Gemini, Compliance and Legal play a critical role in guiding innovation and driving value for the business, while upholding our core tenets of security, compliance, and trust for our customers.
The Role: KYC Advisory Lead
The KYC Advisory Lead is a senior member of the Compliance team, responsible for the implementation of the KYC framework across Gemini, while promoting consistency. In this role, you will serve as the global KYC subject matter expert and escalation point for the broader Compliance department and other functions. To be successful in this role, you will need to have a strong knowledge of regulatory KYC requirements and best practices.
- Drive effective KYC framework to ensure regulatory compliance;
- Collaborate with regional MLROs to ensure KYC framework reflects local requirements, while maintaining global consistency, where practicable
- Devise and oversee KYC requirements, by customer type and risk-ranking, while accounting for regional KYC variances
- Ensure KYC policy and requirements remain up to date
- Stay current on emerging regulatory requirements and best practices, and drive enhancements to KYC framework and controls
- Spearhead Gemini’s KYC governance and oversight efforts to document KYC decisions
- Implement, enhance and maintain customer risk-ranking methodology
- Serve as a point of escalation to internal stakeholders on KYC-related issues and best practices
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams on the implementation of KYC requirements
- Play an active role in regulatory examinations and internal audits
- Work cross-functionally to address and remediate KYC-related issues
- 7+ years of relevant AML/KYC experience in the financial services, fintech, or consulting industry
- Strong knowledge of regulatory requirements and best practices in the area of KYC
- Proven change agility capability
- Experience working for or with an international company is preferred
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are important, as well as the ability to analyze and assess new rules and regulations
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to function as a trusted advisor to control functions
- Strong knowledge of and interest in disruptive technology, financial services, or security; prior experience working in fintech, or advancements in digital assets or high-growth tech companies payments a plus
- Proven ability to proactively, efficiently, and accurately assess risks in a fast-paced environment
- Track record of creative problem-solving, excellent written and oral communication skills, and creation of strong and trusted cross-functional relationships
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive Compensation and Profit-Sharing Equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Retirement Plan Matching
- Generous Parental leave
- Comprehensive health plans
- Training and professional development
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.