Journals Portfolio Manager at Informa (Remote)
Informa is a leading academic publishing, business intelligence, knowledge and events business, creating unique content and connectivity for customers all over the world. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a member of the FTSE 100.
Taylor & Francis Group produces high quality, peer reviewed books and journals. We produce unique, trusted content by expert authors, spreading knowledge and promoting discovery globally. We aim to broaden thinking and advance understanding, providing academics and professionals with a platform to share ideas and realise their individual potential.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Journals Portfolio Manager to join our global Medicine & Health team. You will be responsible for the commercially effective development of a portfolio of Allied & Public Health journals.
We are flexible with the experience level needed for this role. If you already have editorial experience in journals publishing and are looking to expand your skill set we would ensure you are working at the appropriate level. Equally, if you’ve been an Editorial Assistant or a similar position within publishing and are ready to take the next step in your career, this is a good opportunity to consider. Your application is welcome if you can find a way to show us how your skills outside of journals publishing can translate into this role.
Characteristics we’re looking for include being a self-starter who is eager and ambitious to embrace new opportunities in the fast-changing publishing environment. A sense of autonomy is essential since this team is international and you will be working within a globally based team (UK/US/APAC). While you’ll have regular interactions and meetings with international colleagues and editors, we are looking for someone who is self-reliant and takes initiative.
What you’ll be doing:
- Creating and delivering plans to grow, launch, develop, and maximize the impact and reach of a portfolio of journals in Allied & Public Health
- Managing the collection to an agreed level of revenue and profitability under the direction of the Global Head of Portfolio, exceeding/meeting targets and objectives
- Building strong and mutually beneficial relationships with Editors and their Editorial teams
- Encouraging in-depth and long-term relationships with current and potential publishing partners in order to maintain the portfolio and build opportunities for future growth, including in Open Access
- Building, maintaining and sharing thorough knowledge of the fields covered, and of market need and competitor activity, to achieve strategic journal and portfolio development
- Representing the team and Taylor & Francis at external meetings and conferences as the need arises, both virtually and physically
- Coordinating budgets, preparing financial projections, and leading the overall financial performance of the journals
Closing date for applications: 22nd April 2022Qualifications
What we’re looking for:
- Experience of scholarly journals management and of strategic journal development within Medicine & Health would be an advantage, but other backgrounds will be considered
- Commissioning experience would be ideal
- Project management experience and client relations experience from other industries or academia would be advantageous
- Experience of interpreting and applying insight from performance data and other pipeline and financial data
- Being able to demonstrate understanding of the issues currently facing scholarly and academic publishing
- Strong team-working skills, ability to collaborate, work proactively with others, and sharing knowledge and best practice
- Excellent communication skills, oral, presentation and written
- Experience of working across departments within a dynamic, international organization
- Resilience, self-reliance, and resourcefulness
What we offer in return
- Competitive salary
- 25 days annual leave pro rata
- A discretionary 3 additional days leave at Christmas
- 4 volunteering days annually
- Day off for your birthday
- Pension contributions
- Seasonal social and charitable events
- Training and development
This role is open to candidates in all locations across the UK. Taylor & Francis has multiple options for how employees can work based on their role – be that in the office, at home or somewhere in between.
You must have the right to live and work in the UK.
At Taylor & Francis we care about our colleagues, promoting work-life balance, wellbeing and flexible working. We believe that the skills and experience you bring to Taylor & Francis are invaluable. We want you to have the opportunity to develop your abilities, and to innovate and develop in areas which you are passionate about.
We know that sometimes the 'perfect candidate' doesn't exist, and that people can be put off applying for a job if they don't fit all the requirements. If you're excited about working for us and have most of the skills or experience we're looking for, please go ahead and apply. You could be just what we need! We believe strongly in the value of diversity and creating supportive, inclusive environments where our colleagues can succeed. As such, Informa is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics under local law.
To find out more about our business and the great career opportunities please go to our Careers Site: http://www.taylorandfrancisgroup.com/careers