IT Portfolio Management Direct at CNA
This position takes an outward-focused stance to delivery removing roadblocks that could distract the delivery teams during the build. Manages relationships and acts as liaison between the development teams client organizations and other stakeholders from roadmap through benefits realization. Leads and directs the staff and activities of assigned portfolio(s). Ensures efforts within portfolio(s) are defined tracked and communicated in a consistent and effective manner aligned with Governance standards.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Uses a holistic approach to ensure business needs are achieved by advocating for stakeholders and scrum teams. Ensures deliverables are in synch with stakeholder and portfolio goals.
- Partners with business and IT leaders throughout their assigned portfolio(s) to understand business operations and needs in order to provide thought leadership and support.
- Reports to Executives as well as C-suite leaders on performance and compliance of initiatives within their portfolio(s).
- Ensures projects continue to align with business case and benefits through delivery.
- Prepares manages and reports on budget and performance of financials for assigned portfolio(s) in partnership with Finance. Monitors and ensures teams maintain expected return on investment.
- Prepares and presents project governance reviews steering committee meetings and ensures the scrum / delivery teams are aligned and prepared to participate.
- Ensures that teams within their portfolio develop manage and maintain comprehensive accurate plans and schedules as well as perform estimation forecasting planning analysis issue / risk / change management and escalation management defined by governance standards.
- Creates maintains socializes and enforces CNA governance standards. Improves overall delivery model through consistent feedback loop and Information sharing.
- Provides subject matter expertise on best practices and stays up to date on trends and developments within Project Delivery Agile CI/CD emerging technologies/tools and the Insurance Industry.
- Manage overall project dependencies create visibility across teams and remove roadblocks to allow teams to focus on deliverables. Facilitate cross team collaboration to mitigate coordination challenges.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Typically reports to AVP or above.
Skills Knowledge & Abilities
- Proficiency with Project Delivery tools including Planview MS Project and Jira.
- Strong ability to see how a diverse set of projects can be successfully managed as a cohesive program.
- Proven experience managing multiple large complex projects across multiple functions.
- Proven experience managing and mentoring staff in a matrixed organization and providing performance feedback. Proven ability to lead and motivate others in accomplishing goals.
- Proven experience successfully managing business and technical resources under an integrated project plan to ensure the alignment of resources.
- Ability to exercise professional judgement and assume responsibility for decisions which have an impact on people quality of service and costs.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to work effectively with peers clients IT management and subordinates in a cross functional teams. Ability to present and contextualize information and data that can be consumed by senior leaders and C-Suite executives.
- Excellent understanding of project financial management including internally developed software capitalization.
- Proven ability in making tactical and strategic decisions for project and programs.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Computer Science Information Technology business or equivalent work experience.
- Typically a minimum of ten years' diverse experience in multiple areas of technology including project / program leadership and previous supervisory/management experience.
- PMP and/or Agile certifications preferred but not required with related hands on delivery experience.