Founded in 2014, Opendoor’s mission is to empower everyone with the freedom to move. We believe the traditional real estate process is broken and our goal is simple: build a digital, end-to-end customer experience that makes buying and selling a home simple, certain and fast. We have assembled a dedicated team with diverse backgrounds to support more than 100,000 homes bought and sold with us and the customers who have selected Opendoor as a trusted partner in handling one of their largest financial transactions. But the work is far from over as we continue to grow in new markets. Transforming the real estate industry takes tenacity and dedication. It takes problem solvers and builders. It takes a tight knit community of teammates doing the best work of their lives, pushing one another to transform a complicated process into a simple one. So where do you fit in? Whether you’re passionate about real estate, people, numbers, words, code, or strategy -- we have a place for you. Real estate is broken. Come help us fix it.
As Head of R&D, you will take on a massive, company-wide mandate to identify all datasets, internal and external, convolved with all algorithms, to find signal. You will be responsible for setting technical strategy, scaling a very senior-level team of 10-12+, working cross-functionally with engineering, product, and operations to identify opportunities for non-linear breakthroughs, and driving bottom-line impact. If you’re excited about solving the Innovator’s Dilemma at the leading disruptor of a trillion-dollar market, leading through radical candor and democratized power, and having a trillion-dollar impact, we’d love to hear from you!
As a Head of R&D, you will:
- Define and execute an 18-month plan to drive non-linear breakthroughs throughout the company, ranging from marketing to operations to pricing and Drive our data acquisition and enrichment strategy to identify novel datasets that might be useful for our business.
- Drive team understanding of the key essence of all research initiatives, including occasionally directly contributing to key initiatives.
- Set and drive a long-running R&D research agenda, drawing upon everything from day-to-day company learnings to state-of-the-art work in machine learning, behavioral economics, pricing strategy, spatiotemporal modeling, and more.
- Collaborate with the VP of Research & Data Science and Chief Investment Officer to set and drive our company-wide innovation strategy.
- Manage a growing team and reinforce a culture of high cadence, democratized power, and radical candor.
- Manage, scale and up-level a highly committed team via rapid hiring, functional practices, and a culture of excellence.
We’re looking for leaders who have:
- 10+ years of experience in end-to-end modeling and research lifecycle, from EDA to prototyping to productionization and rapid iteration.5+ years of management experience, including working with cross-functional teams.
- Exceptional research background in at least one of the following areas: spatiotemporal modeling, macroeconomic modeling, and/or stochastic modeling.
- Exceptional ability to translate between business and technical audiences, especially in framing effective research questions and communicating with high-level executives.
- Strong people management abilities and instincts, especially leading via context (not control), radical candor, and democratized power.
- Demonstrated strategic and tactical abilities across long-range (18-month) strategic planning, medium-range OKRs, and short-range execution.
More About Us:
Want to learn more about us and how we are revolutionizing the home buying and selling process? Learn more about us on our website, check out our profile on The Muse to learn more about our culture from our team members, or read our blog posts to hear about the work we are doing.
We Offer the Following Benefits and Perks:
- Full medical, dental, and vision with optional 70% coverage for dependents
- Flexible vacation policy
- Generous parental leave
- Paid time off to volunteer
Please note that these benefits and perks are available only to Full Time team members and do not apply to contract roles.
Opendoor Values Openness:
Our team celebrates our diverse backgrounds. We believe that being open about who we are and what we do allows us to be better. Individuals seeking employment at Opendoor are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or other protected status under all applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
Read Full Job Description