Geoscientist – Minerals & Mining at CGG (Remote)
CGG (www.cgg.com) is a global geoscience technology leader. Employing around 3,700 people worldwide, CGG provides a comprehensive range of data, products, services and solutions that support our clients to achieve their business and transition goals. We combine human ingenuity and new technology to understand and solve the world’s natural resource, environmental and infrastructure challenges.Job Description
Become Part of our Team
We are looking for exceptional, enthusiastic, talented and highly motivated Geoscientists to join our Minerals & Mining team to support our mineral exploration and mine site monitoring activities. This part of our business is expanding rapidly, and we are looking for impressive and like-minded candidates to immediately contribute knowledge and drive forward our activities in the sector.
Depending on the combination of skills and experience that each candidate brings, there will be the opportunity to contribute to technical research, developments, product commercialisation, and commercial projects. The Minerals & Mining team strongly collaborates with other CGG business groups that are industry-leaders in a range of technical disciplines, including geology, seismic and non-seismic geophysics, satellite remote sensing, digital services and environmental science.
Our core team is based in the UK, however candidates based in Italy and Norway will also be considered.
Key Skills & Competencies
The successful candidate will benefit from the experience noted above and some of the skills identified below – please highlight in your cover letter.
You will be experienced in one of more of the following areas: research in a technical discipline (linked to minerals and mining), data engineering (gathering, programming, processing, analysis), business/market intelligence gathering and analysis. The successful candidate will benefit from some of the skills identified below, which should be highlighted in your application depending on your preferred role/area of focus:
- Experience through own research to engage critically, practically and creatively with current topics relating to the geosciences, specifically natural resource management & the minerals and mining sector.
- Specific knowledge of the minerals industry/technology requirements, trends and gaps;
- An understanding of data and technology impact, and the potential for enhancements to address technical and commercial opportunities
- Advanced problem-solving skills, especially focused on finding new solutions to data identification, ingestion, consistency, loading, and output problems
- Ability to rapidly locate, digest and compile information from different sources
- Experience in coordinating or managing projects that involve diverse data and stakeholders; ability to define and manage project deadlines
- Good knowledge of GIS analysis tools (ArcGIS, QGIS, etc)
- Advanced skills in Python or similar general-purpose programming and scripting languages
- Good understanding of statistics & data science including machine learning
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills including VBA
- Familiarity with data extraction techniques from a variety of file types, including web-scraping approaches and technologies
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- An enthusiastic attitude towards learning and flexibility to adapt to new challenges and rapid changes in direction.
We are looking for candidates that have a strong geoscience background and data analysis skills, and who ideally have experience relating to geology, geophysics, geotechnics, geological and/or environmental risk management, and remote sensing.
Post-graduate experience, or a blend of the experience described, is highly desired.Additional Information
Why work at CGG?
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- 22 days annual leave
- Wellbeing Unmind app – puts you in control of your mental health
- A flexible benefits platform with numerous discount schemes - gym membership, restaurants, cinema tickets, and much more!
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Flexible Private Medical & Dental care programmes
- Sponsorship of visas/comprehensive relocation packages
We are Flexible
- Bank Holiday Swap - our holiday swap program allows you to change it for another day of your choice!
- Buy & Sell Holiday Programme - you can buy extra holiday, sell unused holiday or even save it up!
- Relaxed dress code policy
We Care about the Environment
We encourage and actively support a strong sense of community, through volunteering and various company initiatives, as well as a strong company commitment to protecting our environment through sustainable solutions, energy saving and waste reduction enterprises.
Create a brighter future for yourself
Our culture of learning and complementary approach to supported or self-guided career development, enables the design of tailored courses to suit your specific needs, to aid personal growth in areas related to both technical and personal skills. This is facilitated through an extensive suite of CGG developed courses.
Join us and share your talent and imagination to ‘see things differently’!
We see things differently. Diversity fuels our innovation, we value the unique ways in which we differ, and we are committed to equal employment opportunities for all professionals.