General Liability Claims Consultant at CNA
Individual contributor responsible for the overall management of highly complex claims. Recognized as a technical expert in the interpretation of complex or unusual policy coverages in area of expertise. Under general management direction works within assigned limits of broad authority on assignments requiring a high degree of technical complexity and coordination. May have regional industry segment or company-wide scope of responsibility within specialty area.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Manages highly complex investigations of claims including coverage issues liability compensability and damages. Determines if a major claim should be settled or litigated and implements an appropriate resolution strategy accordingly. Effectively manages loss costs and claim expenses.
- Manages all types of investigative activity or litigation on major claims including the posting of appropriate reserves in a timely manner. Coordinates discovery and litigation strategy with staff counsel or panel attorneys.
- Negotiates highly complex settlement packages and authorizes payment within scope of authority settling claims in most cost effective manner and ensuring timely issuance of disbursements.
- Coordinates third party recovery with subrogation/salvage unit.
- Makes recommendations on claims processes and resolution strategies to management.
- Analyzes claims activities; prepares and presents reports to management and other internal business partners and clients.
- Works with attorneys account representatives agents doctors and insureds regarding the handling and/or disposition of highly complex claims.
- Keeps current on state/territory regulations and issues industry activity and trends. May participate in industry trade groups.
- Provides guidance and assistance to less experienced claims staff and other functional areas.
- Responsible for input of data that accurately reflects claim circumstances and other information important to our business outcomes.
Manager or above.
Skills Knowledge and Abilities
- Advanced technical and product specific expertise claims resolution skill and knowledge of insurance and claims principles practices and procedures.
- Strong communication negotiation and presentation skills. Ability to effectively interact with all levels of CNA's internal and external business partners.
- Advanced analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects.
- Ability to deal with ambiguous situations and issues. 5. Creativity in resolving unique and challenging business problems.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software.
- Ability to adapt to change and value diverse opinions and ideas.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects.
- Ability to evaluate claims based on a cost benefit analysis.
- Ability to fully comprehend complex claim facts and issues; and to further articulate analyses of claims in presentations to business partners and management as well as in internal reports. 11. Ability to implement strategies with a proactive long-term view of business goals and objectives.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience. Professional designation preferred.
- Typically a minimum eight years claims experience.